Captain Siya Kolisi at a Springbok team warm up at Ellis Park stadium yesterday ahead of their game against England today.
Mike Greenaway
Donald Trump has been blamed for many things. Still, even the US president might have raised his eyebrows at the SA Rugby contention that the war in Iran was responsible for the reportedly slow ticket sales for the Springboks’ opening Test match of the year, against England in Johannesburg on July 4.
On Monday, it was reported that just 21 000 tickets had been sold for the 65 000-seater Ellis Park, as fans struggled to find spare cash for tickets priced between R950 and R3 000. On Thursday, SA Rugby slashed the price of the R950 tickets to R650, but said they expect Ellis Park to be close to full capacity.
“Predictions that the attendance would be little more than 21 000 were entirely erroneous and misinformed,” a statement said.










