Zac Kenworthy, the vice-president of production at Fox Sports, has confirmed that his network intends to use half-time interviews during the World Cup and added it remains in “conversations” with FIFA as to how they will use the three-minute hydration breaks in each half of games at the tournament.The Athletic previously reported that FIFA will allow broadcasters to cut away to advertisements during the ‘hydration breaks’ that will split up each half of all 104 World Cup matches.FIFA have previously described the three-minute breaks as being motivated by player welfare, but the breaks will take place in every game, even in temperature-controlled venues, which left many to conclude that there were also commercial motivations at play.Kenworthy spoke to The Athletic while promoting Fox coverage of the World Cup at an event in New York City on Thursday.Asked directly whether Fox is creating commercial space during the drinks breaks, Kenworthy said: “Those conversations are still happening behind the scenes. There are very real-time conversations as well that we’re having with FIFA.“I expect we’ll have some news in the next week or two, certainly before the tournament starts. But those chats are still going on behind the scenes about how that’s going to go.”He acknowledged that there is a balance to strike between the norms of soccer, where advertisements within games are unusual, and also maximizing available commercial opportunities.There is no suggestion commercials would take place while the game itself is in play, but rather they would be during the hydration breaks, where viewers may still have intrigue about how coaches interact with players to convey messages.“Obviously it’s new, so it’s always going to be to the purest a bit jarring if that indeed does happen,” Kenworthy said. “So yes, that’s something you’re aware of, but I know that the game progresses. There have been so many progressions in the game over the last few years, from 26-man rosters post-Covid, the five substitutes being allowed and things like that.“On our side there’s a recognition that the game does advance … FIFA is in charge of these things. You have to be aware of it. We are also figuring out at the same time how to make sure that we’re not doing a disservice to the viewer while moving with these events. You still have to be very smart about how you’re servicing the viewer at home. That is a balance.”FIFA have unlocked some new forms of access for broadcasters at this World Cup. This will include the option of half-time interviews, as well as host broadcaster reporters being granted a window to be on the field while players warm up.“One big thing in Qatar in 2022 was not just getting the arrival shots of the teams in the stadium, but then we started getting shots of them in the dressing room before they went out for warmups, which is great, and that access felt very behind the scenes,” says Kenworthy.“Fans at home want that access. There are two big things this year that will be a change. For broadcasters who have a team playing in a specific match, so in our case the USMNT, we are now able in a ten-minute window pre-match to get one of our reporters in the center circle on the pitch.“It’s a wonderful tool and you can film as players are warming up behind you, it feels a little closer to the action.“They are also offering up half-time interviews for the first time ever on request to the (home broadcaster) of a nation. If the nation agrees, that option is there as well. Obviously there is tons of very quick commercial inventory to get in, but FIFA have done a great job of advancing the access to the teams.”Fluminense and Al Hilal players take a water break at the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup in Orlando (Megan Briggs / Getty Images)Fox have invested significantly to recruit a galaxy of star names to provide on-site and studio analysis during the World Cup. This includes recruiting French World Cup winner Thierry Henry, retired Swedish star Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Mexico’s all-time leading goalscorer Javier Hernandez.Fox also have Clarence Seedorf, Peter Schmeichel and the former Spain midfielder Thiago Alcantara in their roster.Former U.S. internationals Alexi Lalas, Carli Lloyd, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan also form part of the Fox team, while Rebecca Lowe, best known for her work as NBC’s main presenter of the network’s Premier League coverage, has been allowed to move over to Fox solely for the World Cup.Kenworthy said the drive for a catalogue of “dream names” began over two-and-a-half years ago.“We were having these conversations, while also being cognisant of who is getting near the end of their career and who is making noises like they might have a career in television beyond that. These are people that we specifically targeted for very specific reasons because they’re larger than life and they speak well and they’re confident and comfortable in their own skin. And that’s very important for us.”This is the final men’s World Cup within Fox’s current FIFA rights deal and the upcoming women’s World Cup in Brazil in 2027 has been bought up by Netflix. FIFA are waiting to go to market with the U.S. rights for the 2030 men’s World Cup until an anticipated increase in soccer interest plays out during this year’s tournament.Kenworthy says he does not feel any added pressure for Fox to impress FIFA ahead of an anticipated rights battle next time round.He said: “I think I’ve been so focused on this tournament and just making sure that this is elevated in a true Fox way. The reality is doing a home World Cup on home soil, you don’t need any extra motivation. That’s been our focus and we feel like we’re in a good spot with it.”May 22, 2026Connections: Sports EditionSpot the pattern. Connect the termsFind the hidden link between sports terms