US President Donald Trump on Monday confirmed that the United States had been preparing to launch a military attack on Iran on Tuesday, but said he had decided to halt the operation after requests from key Gulf leaders as “serious negotiations” with Tehran continue.

President Donald Trump says he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.

President Donald Trump said he is calling off a plan to attack Iran on Tuesday after the heads of three regional powers in the Middle East asked him to "hold off."