WASHINGTON -- US President Donald Trump said Tuesday the United States may strike Iran again, claiming he was only an hour away from deciding on an attack before postponing it at the request of US allies in the Gulf.

Speaking at the White House, Trump said Iran's leaders were "begging" to make a deal, but warned that a new US attack could take place in the coming days if no agreement is reached.

He said the timeline could be Friday, the weekend or early next week, stressing that Washington "can't let them have a new nuclear weapon."

Trump said several Gulf allies had told him there was progress in negotiations brokered by Pakistan toward a peace deal so he would allow a "limited period of time" -- two or three days, at least -- for talks to continue.

The president said on Monday that this time was "a little bit different" from previously stalled talks in which Washington thought a deal was close.