Spain is preparing the urgent transfer of around 500 unaccompanied migrant girls and other particularly vulnerable youths from Ceuta to mainland Spain, despite the European Union backing the return of unaccompanied minors to Morocco.
Spain’s Ministry of Youth and Children said preparations were underway for the transfer of the girls who arrived in Ceuta during the mass influx of migrants on July 30-31. The plan could rely on a royal decree establishing compulsory, solidarity-based reception by Spain’s autonomous communities, as well as family placement and other measures intended to speed up the process.
One option under consideration would allow child-protection organizations to take responsibility for receiving and caring for the most vulnerable children, including the girls, at specialized facilities on the mainland without formally transferring their guardianship to the autonomous communities.
The central government has faced resistance from several regional administrations, which have said they will not accept unaccompanied minors who entered Ceuta during the mass crossing. Madrid has criticized what it describes as a lack of solidarity from the regions. Morocco, meanwhile, asked Spain last week to return Moroccan citizens who remain in the enclave.











