Spain's National Police and Civil Guard launched a large-scale operation early on Thursday on El Trampolín beach in Ceuta as part of a plan to relocate migrants to temporary shelters.
On Thursday, Spain's government announced the creation of temporary shelters for 1,800 migrants in the Spanish enclave, in an effort to relieve the humanitarian crisis following last month's influx from Morocco.
According to local media, around 4,000 people have been staying on the beach. The government, however, said it planned to gradually expand the capacity of the temporary shelters.
The migration ministry said the two new shelters were "temporary reception facilities that will be expanded progressively as the adaptation work on the other planned spaces is completed."
The move comes after tens of thousands of migrants crossed from Morocco into the Spanish enclave at the end of July. Each year, thousands of migrants from across Africa travel to Morocco in search of a route into Europe, fleeing conflict, poverty and instability.










