A state cancer hospital in northern Athens on Thursday suspended a doctor following allegations that he demanded a bribe from a patient, and ordered an investigation.
The decision followed a post on social media by Health Minister Adonis Georgiadis who apologized over the alleged incident at the Aghii Anargyri hospital in Kifissia.
Georgiadis said he had been sent “an unacceptable video” that he said showed an anesthesiologist asking a patient for a €100-150 bribe to assist in an operation.
“I ordered the hospital board to swiftly take all legal action to ensure this person is removed from the National Health Service,” Georgiadis said. “I am very sorry and I apologize to the patient.”







