Eskom has warned it may interrupt electricity supply to parts of Johannesburg over the R5.2 billion debt dispute with the City of Johannesburg and City Power.
The threat of electricity disruptions in Johannesburg has intensified after Eskom issued a formal notice warning that it may reduce, interrupt or terminate power supply to certain bulk supply points linked to the City of Johannesburg and City Power over unpaid debt exceeding R5.2 billion.
In a statement issued earlier this week, Eskom said the metro and its power utility currently owe the power utility more than R5.2 billion in arrears, excluding a further current account amount of R1.58 billion that is due on June 5.
According to Eskom, it has spent more than two years attempting to assist the City of Johannesburg and City Power in meeting their financial obligations, but repeated defaults and continued non-payment have now forced the utility to escalate the matter.
“Eskom has been working with the City of Johannesburg (CoJ) and City Power (CP) for over two years to support the metro in meeting its payment obligations,” the utility said.











