Tiruchi MP Durai Vaiko visits the construction site near Fort Railway Station on Tuesday along with senior officials of Southern Railway and Tiruchi Corporation.
| Photo Credit: M. MOORTHY
The inordinate delay in completing the reconstruction of the overbridge near Fort Railway Station in the city has miffed commuters.The new bridge is being jointly constructed by Southern Railway Construction Organisation (SRCO) and Tiruchi Corporation. Southern Railway Construction Organisation has taken up the railway portion of the work at an estimate of ₹12 crore. Laying of the approach road on either side of the new bridge is being executed at a cost of ₹34 crore by Tiruchi Corporation, which began the work in December 2023. On the other hand, Southern Railway demolished the old overbridge only in May 2024.The entire work should have been completed by now and the road open for traffic. However, much to the chagrin of the commuters, the work is still on. With the road remaining closed for more than two years, daily commuting has become an ordeal for many residents. Motorists are forced to take circuitous route via the narrow Thennur High Road, or through Karur Bypass and Chathiram Bus Stand. These routes have been witnessing severe congestion, especially during peak hours, thereby wasting fuel, time and energy.“It is understandable that any busy road in the city is closed for traffic for three or four months to rebuild it. But it has been closed for more than two years. There is still no sign of completion. It is highly annoying,” says D. Selvakumar, a resident of Thillai Nagar.When contacted, a senior official of the Corporation said that most of approach road works had been completed. The remaining works could be carried out only after completion of the overbridge work by SRCO.Tiruchi MP Durai Vaiko visited the construction site near the Fort Railway Station on Tuesday along with senior officials of Southern Railway and Tiruchi Corporation. The contractors also participated. He took stock of the reasons for the inordinate delay in completion of the overbridge work.The MP told The Hindu that the fabrication of steel girders for the overbridge was being taken up at a fabrication unit on Pudukottai road. Southern Railway officials had given commitment that the overbridge work would be completed by July end. After that, Tiruchi Corporation would take 30 days to 45 days to complete the remaining works.Urging the officials to stick to the target, he said he would closely follow up the progress of the work so as to open the road for traffic from September. Published - May 19, 2026 08:21 pm IST






