One person has died after an 18-year-old armed with a sword attacked a Swedish high school.The suspect was shot by the police in the leg before he was arrested and detained. He remains in police custody.Three other people were wounded in the attack, two of whom are in a serious condition. Police were alerted to the rampage at The Brinell School in Fagersta, northwest of the capital, Stockholm, at around 2.06pm local time on Friday.Eight other schools in the vicinity were placed under a precautionary lockdown after the attack, while a state of high alert was announced in the Vastmanland region. Police said there is currently no threat to the public. The school had just reopened after school holidays, and for some students, the attack took place on their first day. 'The alarm about ongoing deadly violence was received at 2.06pm and patrols were ordered to the scene,' the police said in a statement on Friday evening. The rampage took place at The Brinell School in Fagersta'At 2.16pm the perpetrator was fought off and arrested, and in connection with this, effective fire was fired.'A deceased person was found at the scene, and there are also reports of three injured people who had left the school when the police entered. 'According to the medical services, two of them are considered seriously injured and one is considered to have minor injuries.'The perpetrator who was arrested is a man aged 18 and the police have carried out a number of investigative measures linked to him, including two house searches.'The authorities added they are not searching for anyone else. It comes as local media reported the attacker was a former student at the school. Local police chief Tommy Alriksson said officers responded quickly to the incident, which involved 450 students aged 16 to 20.'The first patrol entered and let us know that the perpetrator was subdued with gunfire,' he said. The perpetrator was shot by the police in the leg, according to Aftonbladet newspaperPublic broadcaster SVT, citing unnamed sources, reported the attacker, wearing a helmet and carrying a sword, was a former student at the school with a previous conviction for assault. The local health authority said two victims were teenage boys who were severely injured. A third injured person was released from hospital.'First it was just a regular day really. But then...I saw a guy all covered in blood, at least down his back anyway. Then I saw the police and they flooded in,' one Brinell student, Nellie, said alongside her mother Agnes Strandberg after a five-hour lockdown at the school.Another student, Abdulrahem Salmo, said he had seen a victim with a bloody stab wound in the arm.'Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid,' he told SVT.The Fagersta municipality said in a statement earlier on Friday that other schools in the area had been locked down. This has since been lifted. 'An assailant armed with a sword has entered Brinellskolan and wounded several people,' the Fagersta municipality said in a statement, adding the assailant had been detained by police.SVT reported at the time ambulances, police cars as well as a police helicopter were outside the school in the small city of about 12,000 inhabitants.The motives behind the attack are still unclear. Public broadcaster SVT said ambulances, police cars as well as a police helicopter were outside the school in the small city of about 12,000 inhabitantsPolice spokesman Pelle Vamstad said authorities would be looking into whether camera footage might turn up that could be used in the preliminary investigation.The municipality convened a crisis meeting immediately after the incident and specially trained crisis counselors are providing support to the victims and their families. The government is in close contact with the police following the attack, Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said in a statement to Reuters.'We have been informed of a serious incident in Fagersta. The police are on site and working very intensively with the incident,' Strommer said.Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson responded to the attack on X, writing: 'A serious incident has occurred today in Fagersta at a school, right after the summer break. 'There are reports of injured people. We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively. 'I want to ask everyone to let the police and emergency services work undisturbed. 'Our thoughts are with all those affected.'Sweden's Minister for Education and Integration, Simona Mohamsson, wrote: 'I have received terrible news from a school in Fagersta. 'A police operation is currently underway, and the government is following developments.'My thoughts are with all students, teachers, and parents.'Sweden's Green Party spokesman Daniel Helldén said: 'What has happened in Fagersta is terribly tragic. 'When students and school staff are subjected to violence, it touches us all.''All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time,' said Labour Party leader Magdalena Andersson, whose centre-left coalition holds a clear lead in opinion polls ahead of next month's parliamentary election. Sweden has seen some high-profile attacks at educational institutions.In February 2025, a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education centre in Orebro - Sweden's worst mass shooting. Police said it was motivated by the killer's wish to end his life because of financial and psychological woes. In March 2022, an 18-year-old student fatally stabbed two teachers at a secondary school in the southern city of Malmo. In 2015, two teachers and a pupil were stabbed to death in a school in the western town of Trollhattan by a masked man with a sword and a large knife.The 21-year-old perpetrator, who posed with students before starting his killing spree, was shot dead by police. The attack, which then-Prime Minister Stefan Löfvenplace called a 'black day for Sweden', was racially motivated, authorities said.The attacker picked his victims by their skin colour, according to video evidence seen by police at the time.'He chose dark skinned people, not white. We are convinced it was a hate crime with a racist perspective,' said Niclas Hallgren, the chief of police in Trollhättan.'He was dressed in a way that suggested a racist background [and] video at the scene showed he acted in a military fashion. His actions and the way he looked draws the mind to the Nazis,' Hallgren told journalists.
One dead in sword rampage at Swedish school as man, 18, arrested
The man was shot by the police in the leg before he was arrested and detained, authorities said. He remains in police custody.










