By Philip O'Connor, Johan Ahlander and Marie Mannes, ReutersPolice detain one person after the attack Decline to comment on whether anyone has been killed Say no longer any threat to the public Two teenage boys severely injured and third person also injuredAn 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked students at a Swedish high school on Friday, killing one person and injuring three, and police shot and detained him as media reported the attacker was a former student at the school.The incident occurred on Friday afternoon at the Brinell High School in the central Swedish town of Fagersta, which has about 13,000 residents. The school had just reopened after summer recess, and for some students, it was their first day."We received an alarm at 1406 (1206 GMT) about suspected deadly violence and sent all available resources to the school," a police spokesperson told Reuters.Police told a press conference that the suspect was an 18-year-old man whom they shot and took into custody.Public broadcaster SVT, citing unnamed sources, reported that the attacker was a former student at the school who wielded a sword and wore a helmet. The person had a previous conviction for assault, SVT said.The local health authority said two victims were teenage boys who were severely injured. A third injured person was released from hospital.'We just all ran,' student saidA student at the school, Abdulrahem Salmo, said he had seen a victim with a bloody stab wound in the arm."Then people called the police and we just all ran from there because we were afraid," he told SVT.Local newspaper Fagersta-posten talked to Madelene Jansson outside the school, which her daughter had been attending."I first got a text message from her that somebody had been stabbed and that police were on the way. Then it all just went off. It feels unreal," she told the paper.Several police officers were seen coming in and out of a police cordon surrounding the school, which has 450 students aged 16 to 20.Several other schools and public buildings in Fagersta, a town of 13,000 inhabitants, were at first placed in lockdown after the sword attack took place. The lockdown was later lifted and a group of teenagers could be seen leaving Brinell high school."We are moving into high alert status to marshal our resources and gain the clearest possible picture of the situation," the Vastmanland county authority said in a statement.Citing unnamed sources, the daily Expressen said police had shot the suspect in the case but Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.Previous attacks in SwedenSweden is scarred by the memory of a school shooting in February last year in Orebro, also in central Sweden, when a gunman killed 10 people before turning the weapon on himself. That was the worst mass shooting in Swedish history.More than a decade ago, in 2015, a masked swordsman killed a teaching assistant and two boys at a school in western Sweden before being shot dead by police, who later said the attack was racially motivated.The Swedish government is in close contact with the police following Friday's attack, Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said in a statement to Reuters.Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson cancelled a planned speech he was due to hold on Saturday, news agency TT reported."Our thoughts are with all those affected," he wrote in a post on social media platform X.Social Democrat leader Magdalena Andersson, whose centre-left coalition holds a clear lead in opinion polls ahead of next month's Parliamentary election, said: "All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time."