August 21, 2026 — 4:20pmQueensland’s deputy premier and infrastructure minister claims his government was not aware of alleged links between a major firm and a bikie standover on a taxpayer-funded construction site before it was handed lucrative Olympic stadium work.Speaking to media on Friday, Jarrod Bleijie played down evidence of the potentially illegal actions heard at the inquiry into the CFMEU and construction sector this week, while labelling them wrong, and said there would be no review of BMD’s contract for early works on the new Brisbane Stadium.He also brushed off comments from CFMEU administrator Michael Crosby, who called out the fact BMD had not removed the senior figures linked to the alleged incident and suspected cover-up, saying he would “not be lectured to by the CFMEU”.Jarrod Bleijie asked if “anyone [was] surprised that businesses were so desperate”, echoing comments from inquiry head Stuart Wood.Courtney KrukThe now $95-million, 28-month state-commissioned probe – following this masthead’s reporting on allegations of corruption and criminality in the nation’s construction sector – this week heard extensive circumstantial evidence of the matter.Inquiry head Stuart Wood said a former Melbourne-based Comanchero president, the head of security contractor Host, and two BMD managers may have breached laws as part of the June 2024 incident – depending on who knew or did what.Media reports since the 2024 incident have outlined threats made against a CFMEU member on the BMD joint-venture Centenary Bridge upgrade project, including connections between Host boss Gary Samuel and the bikie-linked figures involved.When he announced last month that BMD had been appointed to undertake early works for Brisbane Stadium, Bleijie praised the firm’s family owned, Queensland born-and-bred credentials.However, asked at a Sunshine Coast media conference on Friday whether government was aware of the allegations before BMD was awarded the stadium work, Bleijie said on Friday: “Of course not.”He noted the contract was awarded by the Games Independent Infrastructure and Co-ordination Authority. On whether government would review the contract in light of this week’s evidence, Bleijie said it would not.“What we will assure you of is this: that the infrastructure and construction sites going forward under this government are going to be safe and productive,” he said.Asked on Friday if he agreed with Crosby that the alleged behaviour aired this week was “morally repugnant”, Bleijie said any suggestion the administration was the good guys was “absolutely laughable”.“I’m not going to be lectured to by the CFMEU,” he said, while noting he did not condone the actions. “But as the commissioner says, is anyone surprised that businesses were so desperate?“I think what you’ll see is exposed is the desperation businesses went to combat that sort of behaviour from the CFMEU. It’s wrong. It will be exposed. It’ll be uncomfortable for a lot of people.“But the people more responsible for this [are] Steven Miles and Annastacia Palaszczuk, Cameron Dick and Shannon Fentiman.”BMD has tipped $8160 into LNP coffers since the election. Bleijie said questions about returning those donations were for his party, and suggested reporters ask Labor if it would return CFMEU donations.Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.From our partners
No review of BMD stadium contract after bikie link airing: Bleijie
Queensland’s deputy premier says while an alleged 2024 bikie standover plot implicating the contractor was wrong, it showed business ‘desperation’ with the CFMEU.










