May 24, 2026 — 5:48pmPremier Jacinta Allan has declared there is no evidence bikies have cashed in on the North East Link project, as excavation on the first of the $26 billion project’s two tunnels was completed.Allan’s claim comes a fortnight after this masthead revealed a bikie-linked company secured contracts as the leading women-led supplier of female workers on Labor’s Big Build, and three months after a landmark report into CFMEU corruption found bribery and bikie gangs had infiltrated major government infrastructure projects.Premier Jacinta Allan during her press conference in Bulleen on Sunday.Luis Enrique AscuiAfter celebrating the milestone of a North East Link tunnel boring machine breaking through to the surface in Bulleen on Sunday, the premier told reporters there was no evidence of project funding ending up with bikies, when she was asked about the allegations.She said if evidence did emerge that bikies profited from the project it would trigger an investigation by police and the Labour Hire Authority.“There is no evidence for that claim,” Allan said in Bulleen on Sunday.“What I’m focused on is giving the Victoria Police and the Labour Hire Authority the tools and the resources that they can, that should there be evidence, should there be claims of behaviour that I have absolutely zero tolerance for, they can be investigated.”In February, the explosive Rotting from the Top inquiry report by corruption-busting lawyer Geoffrey Watson, SC, found infrastructure projects funded by the Albanese and Allan governments hosted drug trafficking, systemic corruption and bribery, bikie gangs and sexual exploitation of women, at an estimated cost to the taxpayers of $15 billion.The Age revealed this month that labour hire company Women in Construction secured contracts on Labor’s Big Build and is owned by a male serial domestic violence abuser, was managed by a male drug trafficker also accused of family violence and has deep links to bikies and violent criminals.The company supplied dozens of female workers on the state and federally funded North East Link project and at its height previously supplied up to 250 workers across Big Build rail and road projects, generating an estimated $2.5 million a week.Leaked documents revealed Bandidos Melbourne chapter president Joel Leavitt directed Women in Construction to hire his friends and relatives on the Big Build. At the time, a North East Link spokesperson said all contractors were vetted and audited, and any breaches were referred to relevant authorities.Allan described the reports as concerning and said the government had zero tolerance for illegal behaviour on worksites, pointing to the Labour Hire Authority cancelling 151 construction industry licences and blocking 48 licences, and Victoria Police laying 88 charges.She referred a question on how many of the cancelled licences were related to the North East Link to the authority and did not specify how much money companies with cancelled or blocked licences made off the project. The authority was contacted for comment.Allan said while she was aware of calls for a new independent inquiry it “would just mean not addressing the issue that needs to be addressed”, and instead pointed to action including an obligation for contractors to report concerning behaviour, an inquiry by ex-public servant Greg Wilson and a secure pathway for workers to blow the whistle.The 10-kilometre North East Link toll road connecting the M80 Ring Road to the Eastern Freeway is due to open in 2028. Allan said it would take 15,000 trucks off local roads.The cost of the project is more than double its original budget, and the federal government last year increased its contribution to $5 billion.Excavation on the first of the project’s two tunnels was completed in Bulleen on Sunday after more than 18 months of tunnelling. The other tunnel is due to be finished in coming months.Allan with Equality Minister Vicki Ward in Bulleen.Luis Enrique AscuiOpposition Leader Jess Wilson has repeatedly called for a royal commission into Big Build corruption claims and said Victorians deserved to know the truth about where taxpayer money went and who benefited.“If the premier is so confident no taxpayer money ended up in the hands of bikies or organised crime figures, why won’t she call a royal commission?,” Wilson said.“Because she knows Victorians would see the full extent of what is happening under her watch on government Big Build sites.”Accountability Round Table secretary Stuart Hamilton said any evidence of improper expenditure of public funds should be subject to investigation independent of government, to maintain public trust.Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.From our partners
‘No evidence’ bikies cashed in on North East Link: Premier
After months of reporting about the involvement of bikies on the Big Build Premier Jacinta Allan said there was no evidence any were paid on the mega project.















