Skip to Content News Archives Economy Energy Oil & Gas Renewables Electric Vehicles Mining Commodities Agriculture Real Estate Mortgages Mortgage Rates Finance Banking Insurance Fintech Cryptocurrency Work Wealth Smart Money Wealth Management Investor Personal Finance Family Finance Retirement Taxes High Net Worth FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials More Innovation Information Technology FP500 Podcasts Small Business Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Financial Post Store Obituaries Place a Notice Advertising Advertising With Us Advertising Solutions Postmedia Ad Manager Sponsorship Requests Classifieds Place a Classifieds ad Working Profile Settings My Subscriptions My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ News Economy Energy Mining Real Estate Finance Work Wealth Investor FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials HomeNewsEconomyCarney asks premiers to end booze ban for U.S. trade dealIn Canada, provincial governments control the rules for alcohol distributionAuthor of the article:A worker removes bottles of American-made Jack Daniel’s whiskey from a shelf at a liquor store in Toronto last year. Photo by BLOOMBERG FILESPrime Minister Mark Carney is working to end Canada’s partial ban on the retail sale of American alcoholic beverages as his trade deal with U.S. President Donald Trump takes shape.Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorCarney asked provincial leaders on a call Wednesday to bring back U.S. wine and spirits to stores once an agreement is finalized, Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston told reporters during a televised press conference Wednesday.In Canada, provincial governments control the rules for alcohol distribution, and most of them pulled U.S. products last year in retaliation for Trump’s tariffs, causing export sales to plummet for U.S. winemakers and distillers. The booze bans remain in most provinces, including the three with the largest populations — Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia.SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE: FP West: Energy Insider brings you behind the oilpatch’s closed doors with exclusive insights from insiders every Wednesday morning.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of FP West: Energy Insider will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try againHouston said he would be willing to return U.S. alcohol to his province’s shelves, based on the deal terms he’d seen. It wasn’t immediately clear whether all his fellow premiers would do so.If they don’t, the tentative trade agreement between the U.S. and Canada that Trump announced Tuesday night is at risk. The White House sees ending the bans as a pillar of any deal.Quebec Premier Christine Frechette was noncommittal after the briefing with Carney on the emerging agreement’s terms, saying many of her questions remained unanswered and she still needed more information.“There are things that could change, but whether they’ll change enough to bring good news remains to be seen,” she told reporters. “We’ll talk again tomorrow, and I expect to receive clarifications by then.”Houston also warned that a grassroots consumer boycott of U.S. alcohol could endure, even if it’s once again widely distributed.“Whether Nova Scotians or whether Canadians will actually buy it when it gets back on the shelves, that’s a whole ‘nother discussion,” Houston said.The Nova Scotia leader said the federal government also asked provinces to ensure they didn’t specifically exclude the U.S. in their procurement policies, as part of any deal.That’s after some sub-national governments including Ontario and B.C. had moved to restrict U.S. companies from certain contracts.BC Premier David Eby didn’t comment on alcohol specifically, but regarding the wider negotiations he said “we are hopeful about the possibility of an agreement,” in an emailed statement. He has been among the most strident advocates among Canada’s premiers of spurning U.S. products and travel.The office of Ontario Premier Doug Ford didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.With assistance from Brian Platt, Mathieu Dion, Nojoud Al Mallees and Melissa Shin. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.