Russian forces launched a major combined missile and drone attack on Kyiv overnight into Thursday, Aug. 20, killing at least 15 people and injuring 39 as strikes damaged residential buildings, a children’s hospital, a school, and other civilian infrastructure across the Ukrainian capital. As of 3:20 a.m. Kyiv time, the Kyiv City Military Administration (KMVA) said consequences of the attack had been recorded at more than 12 locations across the Darnytskyi, Sviatoshynskyi, and Solomianskyi districts. Residential buildings, a medical facility, and an educational institution were damaged, while large warehouse fires broke out.JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official. “Unfortunately, five people were killed by the enemy. Another 23 people were injured,” KMVA said initially. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko had earlier reported three people killed and 20 injured, 14 of whom were hospitalized, before the city military administration raised the toll. However, later Klitschko reported that the death toll in Kyiv has risen, while 33 people were injured. “Another injured person died in hospital. Twelve people are dead in the capital at this time,” the report reads. Seven of the fatalities were reported in Kyiv’s Solomianskyi district. Firefighters continue to extinguish fires in the Sviatoshynskyi, Solomianskyi, and Darnytskyi districts. State Emergency Service units and other relevant services are working at the scene. In a subsequent report, the mayor added that Friday, Aug. 21, has been declared a Day of Mourning in Kyiv to honor the victims of the massive Russian attack on the capital. “On this day, flags will be lowered on all municipal buildings in the city. It is also recommended that national flags be lowered on state and privately owned buildings across the capital,” the report reads. All Friday entertainment events are prohibited in Kyiv. Later, the State Emergency Service (DSNS) reported that the death toll in Kyiv had risen to 13 people. In the Kyiv region, one person has been reported killed and seven injured. “Our units in the Solomyanskyi district of the capital discovered the body of another woman. In total, 14 people have died and more than 40 have been injured in this Russian attack in Kyiv and the region,” the DSNS said. As of 12:30 p.m., the death toll in Kyiv has risen to 15 people, with 39 others injured. All relevant emergency services remain at the scene. More than 600 rescuers and police officers have been involved in the response since the attack began. Emergency services are currently working at two sites in the capital and three more in the Boryspil and Brovary districts. In the first minutes after the strikes, DSNS and National Police units rescued and provided first aid to dozens of people. Police have set up headquarters at the attack sites to accept reports of damaged or destroyed property. In Kyiv alone, more than 200 applications have already been registered. Psychologists are also providing support to people who have lost relatives or been left without homes. Around 20 residential buildings, a school, a children’s hospital and a kindergarten were significantly damaged in the capital. The DSNS said it had deployed all necessary personnel and equipment, including robotic systems, to clear the rubble and search for survivors. “We are checking whether there are more people under the rubble. In the Kyiv region, a fire has engulfed warehouses with household goods. Rescuers are trying to contain the flames, and aircraft have been deployed,” the report read.