After months of uncertainty, the family of prominent ethnic Kazakh writer and satirist Zhengis Reskhan has learned that he faces a closed-door trial in China and could spend a decade in prison.Reskhan has been detained since March 19 following months of police interrogations. Until now, his family had received no official confirmation of where he was being held and had no contact with him.Reskhan’s family says Chinese police had previously accused him of having “extremist” ideas, an allegation conveyed to them verbally. He is now accused of “undermining ethnic unity,” according to his son, Nartai Zhengis.Nartai said his father’s trial is scheduled for August 15 and will be held in secret. He told RFE/RL’s Kazakh Service that his father’s lawyer informed the family that “no one will be allowed to attend the trial.” Reskhan’s wife, Nartai’s mother, will also be barred from the proceedings, he said, adding that the lawyer told him that once the court issues its verdict “the only information that might be made public would be something like: ‘He was sentenced to this many years in prison.’”

The family has been told that Reskhan could face up to 10 years’ imprisonment if convicted.Nartai said the “undermining ethnic unity” allegation had been added to the earlier accusation that his father was guilty of “extremist thought.”The family has not seen an indictment or other court documents identifying the legal basis for the accusation.A Test Case?The charge comes shortly after China’s Law on Promoting Ethnic Unity and Progress took effect on July 1. Adopted by the National People’s Congress in March, the controversial measure establishes a broad legal framework for interethnic relations and includes provisions concerning conduct deemed to undermine ethnic unity.Whether the allegation against Reskhan is being brought under the new law remains unclear.If the case falls under this legislation, it could provide an early indication of how the law is being applied to ethnic minority defendants.