MANILA: Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. confirmed on Friday that he would endorse a candidate for the 2028 presidential election, but said he had yet to decide who he would back.

With Philippine presidents limited by the constitution to a single, six-year term in office, Marcos had been expected to back a candidate, as his fierce political rival Sara Duterte makes early headway in opinion polls on the 2028 ‌presidency.

At an event ‌with foreign journalists on Friday, ‌Marcos ⁠confirmed for the first time ⁠that he would endorse a candidate, but said choosing one now would be premature.

“You have to see how things really shape up. I haven’t sat down with anyone and said, ‘do you want to run for president or not?’” he said.

“The time will come. We ⁠will certainly provide the best candidate (for) the betterment ‌of lives of the ‌people. We will choose the best possible candidate.”