adsThe United States and Iran have agreed to a deal in principle to wind down the war in the Middle East and end the Iranian blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a senior U.S. official said Sunday, although some of the most sensitive issues have yet to be resolved.
There was no immediate public statements from Iran about a deal being reached, and Iranian officials over the last 24 hours offered some conflicting depictions of what a potential agreement might contain. The U.S. official said Sunday that a deal had not yet been signed and was still subject to final approval from President Trump and Iran’s supreme leader, which could take days.
The senior U.S. official said the proposal would reopen the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf — a critical waterway for global oil and gas — and see Iran commit to disposing of its stockpiles of highly enriched uranium. The mechanism by which Iran will dispose of its highly enriched uranium is still being negotiated, the official said. Mr. Trump has insisted that the United States seize the material as part of his vow to curb Iran’s nuclear program.
Mr. Trump said in a social media post on Sunday that he had ordered his negotiators “not to rush into a deal,” after saying a day earlier that a preliminary agreement between the two countries was “largely negotiated.”











