WASHINGTON — SpaceX called off the first attempt to launch the newest version of its Starship vehicle May 21 because of a problem with ground equipment.
The company had been working toward a 7:30 p.m. Eastern liftoff of the first version 3 Starship/Super Heavy vehicle from its launch complex at Starbase, Texas. The launch was pushed an hour into a 90-minute window because of upper-level winds.
However, the countdown stopped at the T-40 second mark. It restarted several times, only to recycle back to T-40. SpaceX said on the launch webcast that it was looking at issues with quick-disconnect lines and water diverters on the pad. After several minutes, SpaceX called off the launch, citing rising temperatures in propellant tanks.
“The hydraulic pin holding the tower arm in place did not retract,” SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk posted on social media just after controllers scrubbed the launch. He said that if the pin can be fixed overnight, the company will make a second launch attempt May 22 at 6:30 p.m. Eastern.
The mission, called Flight 12 by SpaceX, is a suborbital test flight like the previous 11 missions dating back to April 2023. However, this will be the first launch of the upgraded version 3, or V3, Starship, with upgrades to both the Starship upper stage and Super Heavy booster.












