Published May 21, 2026 12:42pm + Add GMA on Google Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google. The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) have been directed to arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, according to Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida.“Senator Bato is a fugitive from justice and he should be brought to the ICC to face the charges,” Vida said in a press briefing on Thursday.He said this is pursuant to the “validly issued” International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant.WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR: Where is Bato Dela Rosa?A warrant of arrest has been issued for Dela Rosa after he was alleged to be a co-conspirator in the crimes against humanity charges in connection with the killings in the war on drugs of Rodrigo Duterte when he was mayor of Davao City and when he was president of the Philippines.Dela Rosa's legal counsel on Wednesday maintained that although they recognize the existence of the arrest warrant issued by the ICC, they do not consider it enforceable in the Philippines.The Supreme Court, meanwhile, has denied the Dela Rosa's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) and/or status quo ante order (SQAO) in connection with his possible arrest based on the warrant issued by the ICC.While Dela Rosa’s legal team respected the SC’s decision, it argued that the country’s own constitution must prevail. The lawyers also said they will file a motion for reconsideration.“We respect the Honorable Court’s action on the application for interim relief. At the same time, it must be emphasized, with equal clarity, that the Supreme Court itself has stated that it acted only on the prayers for provisional relief,” said The Law Firm of Torreon and Partners, which represents the senator, in a statement.“The main case remains alive. The constitutional questions remain squarely before the Supreme Court–and those questions are grave: whether the liberty of a Filipino may be placed at the mercy of a foreign process without the intervention of a Philippine court," it added.'Valid'Malacañang said Wednesday that the warrant of arrest issued by the ICC against Dela Rosa is “valid.”“Sa ngayon, masasabi po natin na ang warrant of arrest ay valid laban dito kay Senator Bato dela Rosa,” Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro said in a short interview with Palace reporters.(For now, what we can say is that the arrest warrant against Senator Bato dela Rosa is valid.)NBI director Melvin Matibag, meanwhile, has said they already have a lead on the whereabouts of Dela Rosa but refused to divulge it.Andami-dami pong lead na binigay but we have a lead kung nasaan talaga pero, in the meantime, we will suspend 'yung announcement kung saan talaga siya," he added.(We have received so many leads but we have a lead on where he really is but, in the meantine, we will suspend the announcement on his whereabouts.) —VAL, GMA News