Letter from the parents of alleged NPA member Vince Francis Dingding, who was among five killed in a clash with government troops in Cauayan, Negros Occidental, on Saturday, May 16. —PHOTO COURTESY OF THE NATIONAL TASK FORCE TO END LOCAL COMMUNIST ARMED CONFLICT

BACOLOD CITY, NEGROS ORIENTAL, Philippines — The parents of Vince Francis Dingding, 30, a former University of the Philippines Cebu student leader who later joined the New People’s Army (NPA), said they would no longer claim his remains after he was killed in an encounter with government troops in Cauayan, Negros Occidental on May 16.

In a handwritten letter on Monday and shared by the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-Elcac), Romulo and Rica Dingding requested that all matters concerning their son’s death be coursed through their barangay captain to spare the family further distress. They also revealed that Vince’s mother is battling colon cancer and had been advised to avoid stress.

NTF-Elcac said Dingding was among those killed in an encounter with the Army’s 15th Infantry Battalion in Barangay Abaca. The NPA, in a separate statement, identified him as secretary of the Southwest Negros Guerrilla Front.