US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would have resumed strikes on Iran within an hour had he not postponed them earlier in the week at the request of regional allies, as Tehran revealed details of a new proposal to end the war launched by Washington and Israel in February, Anadolu reports.

“They knew that we were very close. I would say that I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

He said the US may deal Iran “another big hit” if the sides fail to reach a permanent agreement in the coming days.

“They’re begging to make a deal. I hope we don’t have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big hit,” he said. “I’m saying, two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something. Maybe early next week, a limited period of time, because we can’t let them have a new nuclear weapon.”

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi revealed details earlier Tuesday of Tehran’s latest proposal submitted to the US during a meeting with parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee. The US has yet to respond.