Asia & Pacific
The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country's territorial integrity, the need for a mechanism ifIndonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws, Sjafrie told a hearing with the House of Representatives Commission I overseeing defense.
Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin (left) and his United States counterpart Pete Hegseth (right) listen as national anthems are played during an honor cordon welcoming ceremony for the former at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., on April 13, 2026. (AFP/Jim Watson)
Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin said on Tuesday that he had signed a letter of intent last month with US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on granting US military aircraft access to Indonesian airspace, but said no commitment was made.The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country's territorial integrity, the need for a mechanism ifIndonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws, Sjafrie told a hearing with the House of Representatives Commission I overseeing defense.
"We made not a single commitment with the US on airspace. We uphold the constitution and our national interests," Sjafrie said.









