Hamas said Israel’s decision to convert the former UNRWA headquarters in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood into Israeli military facilities represents a violation of international law and the protections granted to UN institutions.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Hamas described the move as “null and void” and called for international action, including what it termed deterrent sanctions against the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Earlier on Sunday, the Israel government approved plans to establish an office for Defence Minister Yisrael Katz, an army museum and a military recruitment centre on the site of the former UNRWA compound in occupied Jerusalem.

READ: Jerusalem Governorate condemns Israel’s plan to turn UNRWA compound into military facilities

A joint statement from the Israeli Ministry of Defence and the Jerusalem municipality said 36 dunams of land would be allocated for the project, including the construction of a new Israeli army museum and a modern recruitment facility.