The Jerusalem Governorate on Sunday described Israeli approval to convert the former compound of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood into Israeli military facilities as “a dangerous escalation and a serious breach of international law,” Anadolu reports.
In a statement, the governorate called on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to take urgent steps to refer Israel to the International Court of Justice if it does not revoke laws and measures targeting UNRWA.
Earlier on Sunday, the Israeli government approved plans to establish an office for Defense Minister Israel Katz, an Israeli army museum, and a military recruitment office on the site of the former UNRWA compound in Sheikh Jarrah in occupied East Jerusalem.
A joint statement by Israel’s Defense Ministry and the Jerusalem municipality said the ministry would allocate 36 dunams (nearly 8.9 acres) of land for the construction of a new Israeli army museum and “an advanced recruitment office.”
The Jerusalem Governorate said the conversion of the UNRWA compound into Israeli military facilities constituted “a grave violation of the immunities and privileges of United Nations organizations.”










