Debris remains on the roadway as specialist rope access teams prepare to stabilise the mountainside.
Western Cape MEC for Infrastructure Tertuis Simmers has confirmed that progress is being made in clearing debris from a rockfall on the road between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves.
This follows a May 15 announcement by the department that the road from Oudtshoorn to the Cango Caves has been closed until further notice.
It previously said progress is being made to clear the major rockfall between Oudtshoorn and the Cango Caves.
In an update on Sunday, Simmers said, “Safety remains our top priority. While debris is visible on the roadway, engineers have determined that removing it could immediately trigger secondary rockfalls, placing workers and road users at serious risk.”











