Nyesom Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has ruled out leading President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 presidential campaign, saying he would not risk his political base in Rivers State for a role that could cost him the state.
Wike, speaking on Saturday after inspecting the Apo-Karshi and Kubwa-Bwari road projects in Abuja, said his decision was also informed by the fact that he is not a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), despite his continued political alignment with the Tinubu administration.
The minister was responding to questions on whether he would have preferred to serve as Director-General of Tinubu’s 2027 Presidential Campaign Council, a position the Presidency announced on Friday had been given to former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari.
Wike said his experience of previous presidential campaigns showed that heading a national campaign can carry significant political risks, particularly for politicians trying to retain control of their home states.
Read also: 2027: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi set contrasting campaign tone Related News Opposition parties question credibility of Tinubu’s 2027 campaign team 2027: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi set contrasting campaign tone 2027: Wike urges stakeholders to deliver Tinubu victory at grassroots











