Prime Minister Mark Carney said Saturday that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods starting Sept. 8, matching President Donald Trump’s new 50% duties dollar for dollar after last-ditch trade talks between the two countries collapsed late Friday.
Carney Details Canada’s Response
Speaking to reporters in Ottawa the morning after negotiations broke down, Carney said Canada’s countermeasures will focus on sectors including steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with goods currently subject to U.S. tariffs imposed under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act. He said further details on the specific products affected would be released in the coming days.
Carney told reporters Canada had entered the talks willing to drop its remaining retaliatory tariffs on U.S. steel, aluminum and autos in exchange for reciprocal cuts from Washington and had been prepared to encourage provinces to restore U.S. alcohol to store shelves, the Canadian Press reported. But he said Washington’s final terms went too far, telling reporters, "They asked too much and offered too little." Carney added that Canada’s approach throughout the talks had never been to accept "a deal at any price or on any deadline."










