A total of 18 migrants were buried on Friday in the Muslim cemetery in Ceuta, three weeks after the border crisis that left more than 90 people dead and led to more than 72,000 people entering the autonomous city from Morocco.
The bodies, all of them men, were laid to rest without having been identified. Their graves are marked only with numbers to allow possible identification later if relatives come forward to claim them, interim cemetery director Said Mohammed told AP.
During the burial, a Muslim cleric recited prayers while funeral workers placed the bodies, wrapped in white bags, in the graves and covered them with earth.
The deceased are among the victims of the mass arrival of migrants recorded in Ceuta at the end of July, considered the deadliest incident so far on Spain's border.
Many of the victims drowned or died in a stampede as they tried to cross a breakwater near one of the border crossings. More migrants are expected to be buried in the coming days.











