ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — Formula 1’s first week back from its summer break has been anything but quiet.Contract extensions for Alex Albon and Carlos Sainz at Williams, Isack Hadjar’s wrist injury ruling him out of the Dutch Grand Prix and the subsequent driver reshuffle across Red Bull and Racing Bulls all happened before F1 arrived at Zandvoort.Then came Thursday morning’s news that four-time world champion Max Verstappen had committed his future to Red Bull with a new contract through to the end of 2030.Verstappen has been subject to regular links to Mercedes and McLaren in the last couple of years, but ahead of the final Dutch Grand Prix he explained that his intention was always to commit to Red Bull.It was not a shock: Verstappen remaining with Red Bull seemed like the most likely outcome going into 2027. Yet it does have a knock-on effect for the remainder of the driver market.The market always hinged on Verstappen. If he were to choose to leave Red Bull or, as he suggested was more likely on Thursday, walk away from F1 altogether, it had the potential to create a domino effect across the grid.The flurry of movement across the grid is affectionately known as ‘silly season’ within the paddock. Only this year, silly season might not be so silly after all.The sport’s top teams are committed, for now, to their driver lineups. (Peter Fox / Getty Images)The status quo will remain at the leading four teams, and beyond.McLaren has Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri locked in to long-term deals. Ferrari extended Charles Leclerc’s contract in May and Lewis Hamilton has made a welcome return to form. George Russell signed a multi-year deal agreed with Mercedes last year, and 19-year-old teammate Kimi Antonelli’s surge to become the runaway championship leader left zero need to look elsewhere.Red Bull has yet to make any official announcement, but Hadjar’s recent form would suggest he will keep his seat. Team principal Laurent Mekies told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf last month that it would be “logical” to keep the same lineup, with Hadjar closer to Verstappen’s performance level than any of his other teammates of late.At Williams, Albon extended into 2027, with an option on his existing deal being triggered, and Sainz signed a new contract. Gabriel Bortoleto and Nico Hulkenberg enter a third year of their long-term deals at Audi next season.Earlier this year, Cadillac secured veterans Sergio Pérez and Valtteri Bottas on two-year agreements. Pérez had been linked with a possible move away, but on Thursday at Zandvoort he said he was looking forward to staying with the team for the foreseeable future.The main ‘cork’ in the bottle for any possible movement is Fernando Alonso, the two-time world champion at Aston Martin.Alonso turned 45 over the summer break, and he’s conscious that he may only have a year or two left in his F1 career, his age already far surpassing that of any other driver on the grid in recent history. But as Aston struggles with pace and reliability, Alonso’s form has never been in doubt. He still feels capable of racing among the very best given the right car.Life at Aston Martin hasn’t yet gone to plan for Fernando Alonso. (Darko Bandic / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)But Alonso needs to enjoy driving. Aside from Verstappen, the Spaniard has been the harshest critic of the 2026 cars among the current drivers.“I said it many times, the (set of) regulations is what it is, it’s not the best (or) the most fun cars to drive,” Alonso told reporters on Thursday. “But it’s still my life, and Formula 1 has been and will always be my life. My heart is here. I will be with this team in one role or another for the long term.”In the races leading up to the summer break Alonso said he would use the pause to consider his future. Upon arriving at Zandvoort, he claimed to reporters he hadn’t thought about his future until entering the room for his media session. His focus was Aston’s upgraded Honda engine, which will debut this weekend and, after the new car parts that provided a performance uplift in Hungary, is hoped to deliver another step in performance.It really comes down to Alonso’s enthusiasm to keep racing. So long as it’s strong enough to do another year, Aston would welcome him continuing alongside Lance Stroll. Alonso didn’t put a timeline on any decision on Thursday, saying tongue-in-cheek he would “see in the next days or weeks or months.”Alonso hasn’t shown any strong signs of disappointment with the new cars being a deal-breaker for 2027. Assuming he continues, it would shut off another route for potential changes in the market.One team that Alonso was briefly linked with for 2027 was Alpine, which will gain title sponsorship from Gucci from next year. But with Alonso firmly stating he sees his long-term future with Aston, Alpine also seems likely to run an unchanged lineup, though no decision has yet been made or announced. Pierre Gasly is under contract, and all the feedback over Franco Colapinto’s first full season on the grid has been positive following his step up in performance this year.Liam Lawson has likely driven well enough to stay at Racing Bulls. (Mark Thompson / Getty Images)That leaves only Racing Bulls and Haas, and Racing Bulls could well be another case of more of the same.Peter Bayer, Racing Bulls CEO, said on Friday at Zandvoort the team was delighted with Liam Lawson — who is subbing for Hadjar at Red Bull at Zandvoort — and rookie Arvid Lindblad. Both have scored regular points this year to lift the team to fifth in the constructors’ championship.Bayer said team principal Alan Permane would decide on Racing Bulls’ 2027 lineup, but there is no shortage of options in the Red Bull young driver pool. Permane has gone on record to say Nikola Tsolov, who currently leads the F2 standings, is “next in line” within the junior setup, while Yuki Tsunoda will want to use his Zandvoort return to try and stake a claim for an F1 return.There currently appears to be little reason to make a change. Tsolov would be unable to return to F2 next year if he does win the title, yet a year of reserve duties and private testing would hardly do any harm. Tsunoda said on Thursday that his focus is on racing in F1 next year, but he has also been linked to a potential switch to IndyCar.There’s a very real possibility that 10 of the 11 teams will run the same drivers in 2027 as they did in 2026. Haas is the outlier, where Esteban Ocon’s future has come under scrutiny in recent months.Ocon joined Haas for 2025 but was outscored by rookie teammate Ollie Bearman last year. Ahead of the season, team principal Ayao Komatsu said Haas had “expected more” from Ocon given his experience. In Haas’s early-year surge, it was Bearman, not Ocon, who brought home the big results, finishing fifth in China. Bearman has scored 18 of Haas’s 21 points this year, with the team slipping back in the pecking order and struggling with inconsistent parts production of late.Esteban Ocon is under the microscope at Haas. (Sona Maleterova / Getty Images)Haas has conducted private testing this year with reserve driver Ryo Hirakawa and Leonardo Fornaroli, the reigning F2 champion and McLaren junior. It is also set to run Rafael Camara, who is part of the Ferrari Driver Academy and currently second in the F2 standings, in the coming weeks.Komatsu acknowledged to reporters on Thursday that all the drivers involved in the private running were being evaluated. “I mean, if we had no interest, we wouldn’t be doing it,” he said.But given Haas is effectively siloed off in this part of the driver market, there’s no need for it to be too hasty with any decision. It can consider the young drivers vying to join the grid, while giving Ocon as much time as possible to make his case.“We’re not in any rush,” Komatsu said on Friday in a news conference. “We’re focused on our two drivers, Ollie and Esteban, trying to get the best out of them.”F1’s driver market going into 2027 may be somewhat stagnant, but it tends to move in cycles. Surprises and shocks can sometimes follow a year or two of relative stability. There wasn’t a single off-season switch between 2023 and 2024 — a first in F1 history — before eight of the then-10 teams made at least one driver change for 2025.Stability like this merely adds more kindling for future fireworks in the market. As drivers near the end of longer multi-year deals and, importantly, get an understanding of the best places to be under these regulations, the silliness F1 fans have grown accustomed to through recent years is certain to return.
F1’s driver market looks frozen solid for 2027: Long contracts, no vacancies
For three seasons now, F1's silly season has not felt very silly at all. What's keeping the market stuck in place?
















