Skip to Content Subscribe My Account Manage My Subscriptions FAQ Newsletters Canada Canadian True Crime Canadian Politics Health World Israel & Middle East Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Comics NP News Quiz New York Times Crossword Horoscopes Life Eating & Drinking Style Sponsored Play for Ontario Travel Travel Canada Travel USA Travel International Cruises Travel Essentials Culture Books Celebrity Movies Music Theatre Television Business Essentials Advice Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Buy Canadian Home Living Outdoor Living Kitchen & Dining Tech Style & Beauty Personal Care Entertainment & Hobbies Gift Guide Travel Guide Amazon Prime Day Deals Savings National Post Store More Sports Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Soccer Golf Tennis Driving Vehicle Research Reviews News Gear Guide Obituaries Place an Obituary Place an In Memoriam Classifieds Place an Ad Celebrations Working Business Ads Archives Healthing Epaper Manage Print Subscription Profile Settings My Subscriptions My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ Newsletters Canada World Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Life Shopping Epaper Manage Print Subscription HomeNewsWorldU.S. Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction to continue for nowTrump initially touted the construction of the ballroom as being necessary to host galas and state dinners, but has since pointed to the addition of an underground military bunker and other security featuresAuthor of the article:A view of the ongoing construction of a planned ballroom at the White House, as seen from the Washington Monument observation deck in Washington, DC on July 23, 2026. Photo by KENT NISHIMURA /AFP via Getty ImagesThe U.S. Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump to continue building his massive White House ballroom for now.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorChief Justice John Roberts temporarily lifted a lower court ruling that had demanded a halt to construction of the ballroom by midnight on Friday.Roberts’s order means that the ballroom project, which has been challenged by cultural preservation groups, may proceed while litigation continues in the lower courts.The Trump administration asked the conservative-dominated Supreme Court last week to allow it to complete construction of the ballroom and secure underground bunker at the White House, saying the project was essential for national security.Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try againTrump ordered the demolition of the entire historic East Wing of the White House last year — without input from Congress — to make way for his long-desired ballroom, but the project was quickly challenged in court.A district court ordered a halt to most work at the site, but that order had been stayed while on appeal.The appellate court recently upheld the lower judge’s order, agreeing that such a sweeping White House overhaul required the explicit consent of Congress, but gave the administration some time to appeal to the Supreme Court.Trump initially touted the construction of the ballroom as being necessary to host galas and state dinners, but has since repeatedly pointed to the addition of a sophisticated underground military bunker and other security features.John Sauer, the solicitor general, in the appeal to the Supreme Court, also emphasized the national security aspects of the project and argued that the president has the authority to make changes to the White House.“The President of the United States of America is not a tenant, but rather the sole, elected head of the Executive Branch, and Congress has authorized him to renovate, secure, and protect the White House and its grounds, as other Presidents have been allowed to do, without exception,” he added.Work on the project began last year with the sudden demolition of the East Wing, which used to house the offices of the First Lady.Trump has insisted that the ballroom will be privately financed, but media reports in June showed that significant taxpayer funds were going to the project, which could cost as much as $600 million.The ballroom is just one of Trump’s pet projects to leave his mark on Washington by the time his second term ends in January 2029, along with a renovation of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool and other parks, and construction of a gigantic arch.Several of the projects have similarly faced legal challenges, but the ballroom project is the first to reach the Supreme Court.Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
U.S. Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction to continue for now
The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump to continue building his massive White House ballroom for now.











