Aug 21, 2026 12:22 PM EDT
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — The U.S. and South Korean militaries wrapped up their annual drill six days earlier than initially scheduled on Friday in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, though the North said the step isn't enough to persuade it to return to talks.
U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise just before it began Monday. Trump cited what he described as a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to support him over the war in Iran.
READ MORE: North Korea fires barrage of missiles toward the sea after dismissing overture from Trump
South Korea's military said the Ulchi Freedom Shield, a command post exercise with the U.S., ended on Friday.










