The U.S. and South Korean militaries ended their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drill six days early in Seoul on Friday, after North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles the day before. South Korea said the exercise was cut short and planned field drills were halved, while North Korea dismissed the move as insufficient to restart talks. The North’s response also dampened hopes for an early Trump-Kim meeting.

U.S. Army soldiers take part in a U.S.-South Korea joint river-crossing exercise, which is a part of the annual Freedom Shield joint military training, near the demilitarized zone separating South and North Korea, in Yeoncheon, South Korea, Mar. 14. Reuters-Yonhap

SEOUL — The U.S. and South Korean militaries wrapped up their annual drill six days earlier than initially scheduled on Friday in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, though the North said the step isn't enough to persuade it to return to talks.

U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise just before it began Monday. Trump cited what he described as a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to support him over the war in Iran.