The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s return to Britain offers a chance of a wider royal reconciliation but also risks creating rival courts undermining the monarchy, according to insiders.
In the short term, it offers the King, who was blindsided when told on Sunday that they were moving back, a stronger chance to rebuild his relationship with Harry and Meghan and his grandchildren, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, without allowing the Sussexes to undertake official royal duties on behalf of the monarch.
But it is unlikely to be welcomed by the Prince and Princess of Wales, who have not spoken to Harry and Meghan for several years and are still in no mood to reconcile, according to friends.
Shorts
Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, have declined to comment publicly so far on their decision to relocate to Britain but friends said that there were a number of factors behind the move.











