A Department of Transport bakkie was hijacked in Pietermaritzburg on Tuesday. Police found the bakkie 24-hours later.

KwaZulu-Natal Transport MEC Siboniso Duma has cautioned second-hand vehicle dealers that they will face harsh repercussions if they are found to be purchasing hijacked or stolen government vehicles.

Duma issued the warning after the recovery of a hijacked double-cab bakkie in Azalea Township in Pietermaritzburg. He said one person had been arrested. The double-cab bakkie was hijacked on Tuesday.

On Thursday, Duma commended his team from Operation Shanela for their decisive, intelligence-driven execution of the #NenzaniLaEzweni Operation.

“The latest arrest is a clear indication of our firmer hand on criminals targeting the department’s assets, fleet, and infrastructure aimed at accelerating service delivery for the benefit of ordinary members of communities,” he said.