SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a day after North Korea shrugged off a U.S. decision to scale back military drills with South Korea in an apparent bid to resume diplomacy.The Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launches happened from North Korea’s capital region around 5 p.m. (0800 GMT) on Thursday. The military said the missiles were launched toward North Korea’s eastern waters.The military said South Korea has bolstered its surveillance posture and was closely coordinating information on the launches with the U.S. and Japan.South Korea’s presidential national security council held an emergency meeting to discuss the launches. After the meeting, the council issued a statement urging North Korea to halt ballistic missile launches that are banned by U.N. Security Council resolutions.
The Japanese prime minister’s office had earlier said that it detected a suspected missile launch.On Wednesday, the South Korean and U.S. militaries said they were scaling back their 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises. U.S. President Donald Trump earlier ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the exercises, just before they began Monday. Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to support him over the war in Iran.Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Trump’s overture later Wednesday. She said it was not even worthy of comment.











