Moroccan police on Saturday detained dozens of people who attempted to cross the border into the Spanish North African exclave of Ceuta.

It comes two weeks after around 72,000 migrants surged into Ceuta, which drove a wedge between Spain and other EU countries.

"This is a routine operation aimed at preventing attempted irregular migration" toward Ceuta, an official with knowledge of the intervention, who asked to remain anonymous, told AFP.

More than 100 migrants, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, were stopped in or around Fnideq, the Moroccan city across the border from Ceuta, a security source told Reuters.

Meanwhile, Morocco's Le360 media outlet reported that 294 people had been detained. Why young Moroccans risked everything to reach CeutaTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video