Football icon Chris Kamara has made a huge difference to the lives of men up and down the country after opening up about his personal experience with prostate cancer - highlighting how and where to get support19:02, 15 Aug 2026Chris Kamara has opened up about the impact he has had on the lives of other men after sharing his prostate cancer scare experience. The 68-year-old football legend, who played for Leeds United, Sheffield United, Bradford City and more over the course of his career, underwent testing in 2024 amid fears he could have the disease.At the time, a routine blood test showed an above-average PSA level - a possible sign of prostate cancer. Chris underwent further monitoring and checks before doctors could confirm that he did not have the disease.Following the health scare, the ex-footballer opted to share his story in the hope of inspiring other men to get tested for prostate cancer. And now, after sparking a wave of testing, the former central midfielder has shared his joy at being able to help others protect their health.Taking to X, formerly known as Twitter, over the weekend, Chris commented: "Had some good news from @ProstateUK that blokes using the risk checker after my appeal in the paper last week, went up by a THIRD."He added: "They know from experience that this will prompt a number men to see their doctor. Unfortunately, some will get a diagnosis- BUT thankfully early enough to save their lives."Last weekend, the former footballer and broadcaster revealed he will be running the Great North Run alongside close friend Ben Shephard and his son Jack in aid of Prostate Cancer UK. In an exclusive chat with the Mirror, he opened up about his own health scare and his hopes of raising funds and awareness.He said: “Any man would feel scared about the prospect of getting prostate cancer. I've been working with the charity for more than a decade, so I know that early diagnosis is absolutely key.“A routine test I had two years ago flagged up a slightly PSA level raised level. That was a scary thing to hear, but thankfully, it turned out I didn't have prostate cancer. After consistent monitoring, my levels remain the same."He continued: “As men, it’s so important we look after ourselves and keep an eye on any changes. I do get up in the night to pee more now. But that’s a symptom of other conditions too, so check with your GP. And I know none of us likes going to the doctor about ‘problems below the belt’ - but it’s a mountain you have to climb, so just do it."The Great North Run is far from the first charity event that Chris has taken part in to help others - he previously took part in ten charity walks organised by his former Sky Sports colleague Jeff Stelling.He explained: “Doing the walks alongside my great mate Jeff and meeting so many affected by prostate cancer, or who were marching in honour of loved ones they had lost, really brought it home to me. Those stories are heartbreaking and inspirational at the same time, and having that knowledge of the disease certainly helped me deal with my scare."I want to raise as much awareness as I can, particularly for black men, who are at double the risk. Prostate Cancer UK have a brilliant risk checker on their website. It takes 30 seconds and may just save your life.“The problem with prostate checking, it's your genitals, and you feel embarrassed when you shouldn’t be. These doctors and nurses have seen it all before. Get over that problem and go and get yourself checked.”And in recent days, Chris has shared more insights into his inspiration and plans regarding the Great North Run - which will take place on Sunday, 13 September 2026, with participants taking on the challenge in the streets from Newcastle upon Tyne to South Shields.He said online: "As a North East native, I have always wanted to take on the Great North Run again after I was lucky enough to run it 26 years ago. That time round the great Sir Brendan Foster applauded me for getting home in just under 1 hour 30 minutes."I've got a few problems with my balance these days so I hope it might be double that this time. But whatever happens I'll get round." And he added: “What I do know is that it’s an incredible event with passionate fans packing the streets. I look forward to seeing you all in September and look forward to some unbelievable support.”Article continues belowLike this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok , Snapchat , Instagram , Twitter , Facebook , YouTube and Threads .