LiveLive Updates August 15, 2026Share to FacebookShare to XArticle printing is available to subscribers onlyPrint in a simple, ad-free formatSubscribeComments: Zen reading is available to subscribers onlyAd-free and in a comfortable reading formatSubscribeAugust 15, 2026UpdatesIDF says Hezbollah commander killed in strike in southern LebanonThe Israel Defense Forces said Saturday it killed a Hezbollah battalion commander in a strike on a compound in southern Lebanon, following an attack on Israeli soldiers operating in the area.According to the IDF, the overnight strike targeted a Hezbollah headquarters in the Ansar area that was used by the group's Radwan Force to direct operations in the area.The military identified the commander as Ali Samir Al-Haj Hassan and said several other Hezbollah members involved in planning attacks against Israeli soldiers were also killed.A man watches as heavy machinery, first aid responders and residents search the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighbourhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani on Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHA man watches as heavy machinery, first aid responders and residents search the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighbourhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani on Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHThe IDF said Hassan's family was inside the compound during the strike and was also harmed. The military said the family members were not the target and alleged that Hassan had used them as "human shields."The IDF said the strike followed a Hezbollah attack on Israeli soldiers operating in what it described as the security zone under the cease-fire agreement. Three Israeli soldiers were seriously wounded in the attack, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office.The military said it remains committed to the cease-fire agreement and "will not allow" Hezbollah to attack Israeli civilians or soldiers.Read the full articleHaredi protesters again block major road in northern Israel again over Shabbat trafficHaredi protesters again blocked traffic at Meron Junction in northern Israel on Saturday, in protest of vehicles traveling on Route 886 during Shabbat. Secular residents from nearby communities confronted them and helped reopen the road, while police were initially absent from the scene.צומת מירון כעת. חרדים מתחילים לחסום את הכביש וכמו בשבוע שעבר גם כעת, חילונים תושבי האזור מפנים אותם בעצמם ופותחים את הכביש לתנועה. המשטרה שלחה שני שוטרים בלבד אבל הם כרגע לא בצומת. אחד המוחים התקשר למשטרהוביקש תגבור כדי להימנע מגךישה לאלימותThe protesters have been blocking the junction during Shabbat as part of a campaign against what they consider violations of the Jewish day of rest. Residents have responded by gathering at the junction to ensure what they describe as "safe and free passage for motorists."About 40 secular residents were facing about 50 Haredi and religious-nationalist protesters at the junction, according to local residents.The confrontation follows similar incidents last week, when Haredi protesters banged on vehicles and sat in front of and underneath cars attempting to pass through the junction. Most of the protesters had come to the area during the Haredi community's Bein Hazmanim vacation period.The only police patrol car at the junction initially drove away, leaving no officers at the scene, according to residents. Police later sent another patrol car after a protester called for reinforcements, saying he wanted to prevent the confrontation from becoming violent.When the first bus arrived from Safed, police opened the road to allow it through. Haredi protesters then blocked the bus farther along Route 886, prompting police to clear them from the road. The protesters attempted to block the road again farther ahead before police reopened it.Israel police and civilians try to disperse ultra-Orthodox Israelis attempting to block a road at Meron Junction in northern Israel, last Saturday. Credit: Gil EliahuIsrael police and civilians try to disperse ultra-Orthodox Israelis attempting to block a road at Meron Junction in northern Israel, last Saturday. Credit: Gil EliahuAs tensions rose, police separated the two groups and ordered the secular residents to remain on the opposite side of the road, warning that anyone who entered the roadway would be arrested. The commander of the police force said the same rule would apply to Haredi protesters who blocked the road. By 6:30 P.M., police had pushed the Haredi protesters back toward Moshav Meron, and the situation was reported to be under control.Netanyahu says Hezbollah violated Lebanon cease-fire, seriously wounding three Israeli soldiersPrime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Saturday that Hezbollah violated the Lebanon cease-fire by attacking Israeli soldiers in the security zone, seriously wounding three troops, in an unusual English-language statement.The Prime Minister's Office: