LiveLive Updates August 15, 2026Share to FacebookShare to XArticle printing is available to subscribers onlyPrint in a simple, ad-free formatSubscribeComments: Zen reading is available to subscribers onlyAd-free and in a comfortable reading formatSubscribeAugust 15, 2026UpdatesIran accuses two French diplomats of alleged infiltration operationIran's Intelligence Ministry has accused two French diplomats of involvement in what it described as an "infiltration and interference" operation inside the country. In a statement carried by state-run IRNA, the ministry said the diplomats were discovered at a secret meeting place while authorities were investigating two other suspects.The ministry alleged that documents seized during the investigation pointed to efforts to identify individuals, establish covert contacts and build networks inside and outside Iran.It also claimed that contracts linked to the alleged operation bore the signature of France's former ambassador to Iran.Hezbollah condemns Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon as death toll rises to 11Hezbollah condemned Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon as a "brutal massacre," accusing Israel of an "act of aggressive escalation" as Lebanon's Health Ministry said 11 people, including women and children, had been killed and 19 wounded.The armed group, in a statement on Saturday, said Israeli strikes hit a house on the outskirts of Ansar and a building in Deir al-Zahrani, accusing Israel of expanding the areas it is targeting across southern Lebanon.First aid responders and residents gather as they search the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighbourhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani, Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHFirst aid responders and residents gather as they search the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighbourhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani, Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHThe Israel Defense Forces said earlier that it had struck Hezbollah infrastructure after the group carried out what the military described as an "action" against Israeli soldiers along the Ali al-Taher ridge. The IDF did not provide further details about the incident.Hezbollah alleged that the escalation reflected Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's desire "to escalate the war in order to bolster his domestic political standing, serve his electoral goals and appease the far-right."The group also accused the United States of providing Israel with political support and "cover," and criticized U.S. calls for Hezbollah to disarm. It said Washington should instead pressure Israel to withdraw from areas it occupies in Lebanon.A man looks on as first aid responders and residents search to the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighborhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani, Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHA man looks on as first aid responders and residents search to the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted a neighborhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani, Saturday. Credit: AFP/ABBAS FAKIHHezbollah also criticized the Lebanese government's approach to direct negotiations, calling on authorities to focus instead on stopping Israeli attacks. It warned that continued Israeli strikes and attempts to impose new realities on the ground would draw a response.Read the full article1 hour agoOil spills spread along Iranian and Omani coasts amid battle over the Strait of Hormuz Oil pollution has reached around 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) of Oman's coastline near Ras Madraka, while a separate spill has affected parts of Iran's coast and waters around the Strait of Hormuz, according to officials and state media.Oman's state news agency ONA said Saturday that response efforts had made progress and that an offshore slick was moving toward open waters. Masirah Island remains unaffected, it said. An oil leak from the Russian tanker Caroline Bezengi, which ran aground near al-Qibliyah Island off the southern coast of Oman, several weeks after the vessel was abandoned following an explosion, Friday. Credit: AFPAn oil leak from the Russian tanker Caroline Bezengi, which ran aground near al-Qibliyah Island off the southern coast of Oman, several weeks after the vessel was abandoned following an explosion, Friday. Credit: AFPOil began reaching the Omani coast on Wednesday after spreading at sea for weeks. The spill is linked to the tanker Caroline Bezengi, a Russian-linked vessel under EU sanctions that ran aground off Oman in late June and is believed to be at risk of breaking apart.In Iran, authorities have begun efforts to contain an oil slick near Qeshm Island, according to the Etemad newspaper. State news agency IRNA said Friday that the spill had affected 3.2 hectares of coastline and nine hectares of coastal waters, including mangrove forests and sea turtle nesting grounds.A satellite image shows Qeshm Island following suspected oil spills at sea, off the coast of Iran, Monday. Credit: EUROPEAN UNION/COPERNICUS SENTINEL-2/ REUTERSA satellite image shows Qeshm Island following suspected oil spills at sea, off the coast of Iran, Monday. Credit: EUROPEAN UNION/COPERNICUS SENTINEL-2/ REUTERSThe cause of the Iranian spill has not been established. It was unclear whether it is connected to the tanker off Oman.UAE says Iran attacked ADNOC-linked oil vessel in Strait of HormuzThe United Arab Emirates said Saturday that Iran attacked a vessel affiliated with state oil company ADNOC while it was transiting the Strait of Hormuz, the third reported attack on the company's vessels in 48 hours.The UAE Foreign Ministry said the vessel was hit Friday night and blamed Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, calling the attack a "flagrant violation" of international law. No crew members were injured, it said.The ministry accused the IRGC of using the strategic waterway as a "tool of economic coercion and blackmail," warning that attacks on commercial shipping posed a direct threat to the region.A person in front of a large screen displaying vessel movements in the Strait of Hormuz on a ship-tracking website, Nicosia in May. Credit: AFP/-A person in front of a large screen displaying vessel movements in the Strait of Hormuz on a ship-tracking website, Nicosia in May. Credit: AFP/-The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which monitors maritime security in the region, said an "unknown projectile" struck the hull of a bulk carrier in the strait. Iran has claimed responsibility for the attack and warned vessels against attempting to cross the waterway.ADNOC said Thursday that two of its vessels had also been attacked while transiting the Strait of Hormuz.Anwar Gargash, diplomatic adviser to UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, said the repeated attacks would not deter Abu Dhabi from using the waterway.Israeli settlers block Palestinian water repair crew in West Bank's Qusra areaAt least 10 Israeli settlers were filmed on Saturday blocking a Palestinian maintenance crew that arrived to repair water infrastructure on the western side of Ein Einna mountain, near the West Bank village of Qusra, according to Israeli activists monitoring the area.The crew reportedly arrived after coordinating with the Israeli military to repair water pipes that had been damaged by settlers.Footage showed settlers on the western slope of the mountain, facing the Palestinian village of Talfit, while a Palestinian bulldozer was seen at the site.The incident took place inside a military order barring Israelis from entering the mountain, which lies deep inside Area B of the West Bank, according to the activists.The military was also attempting to secure Palestinian crews who had reportedly been authorized to carry out water infrastructure repairs at two locations on the mountain.Two adult settlers on an ATV were filmed repeatedly driving near the homes of Palestinian families who had been expelled from the area, while other settlers observed events from the highest structure on the mountain.Top Lebanese officials react to Israeli strikes on LebanonLebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and President Joseph Aoun on Saturday condemned Israeli strikes in southern Lebanon, including an airstrike in the town of Ansar that Lebanese authorities said killed seven people.Salam said the Israeli escalation in Nabatieh, Ansar, Deir ez-Zahrani and neighboring villages was "a matter of utmost gravity" and undermined efforts to stabilize the situation in southern Lebanon.He said the victims of the strike in Ansar were not military targets and argued that any military structures on Lebanese territory should be dealt with exclusively by the Lebanese state and its institutions.إنّ التصعيد الإسرائيلي الذي تشهده منذ فجر اليوم مدينة النبطية وبلدة أنصار ودير الزهراني والقرى المجاورة، وما رافقه من غارات وقصف كثيف وترهيب للأهالي في منازلهم، امر بالغ الخطورة ويقوّض مساعي تثبيت الاستقرار في الجنوب.
Live updates • At least eleven killed in overnight IDF strikes in southern Lebanon, reports say
Qatar condemns escalation in Israeli settler attacks in West Bank. RECAP: Hezbollah says Israeli attacks in Lebanon will be 'met accordingly'. Iran accuses two French diplomats of alleged infiltration operation






