Skip to Content Subscribe Our Offers My Account Manage My Subscriptions FAQ Newsletters Canada Canadian True Crime Canadian Politics Health World Israel & Middle East Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Comics NP News Quiz New York Times Crossword Horoscopes Life Eating & Drinking Style Sponsored Play for Ontario Travel Travel Canada Travel USA Travel International Cruises Travel Essentials Culture Books Celebrity Movies Music Theatre Television Business Essentials Advice Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Buy Canadian Home Living Outdoor Living Kitchen & Dining Tech Style & Beauty Personal Care Entertainment & Hobbies Gift Guide Travel Guide Amazon Prime Day Deals Savings National Post Store More Sports Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Soccer Golf Tennis Driving Vehicle Research Reviews News Gear Guide Obituaries Place an Obituary Place an In Memoriam Classifieds Place an Ad Celebrations Working Business Ads Archives Healthing Epaper Manage Print Subscription Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ Newsletters Canada World Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Life Shopping Epaper Manage Print Subscription HomeNewsCanadaCanadian PoliticsDoug Ford 'more than happy' to bring U.S. alcohol back if a 'fair deal' is reachedQuebec Premier Christine Fréchette has also signalled she would be open to returning U.S. wines to Quebec liquor shelvesLast updated 3 minutes ago You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.Ontario Premier Doug Ford is shown at the ceremonial opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge in Windsor on Friday, July 24, 2026. Photo by Dan Janisse /PostmediaOTTAWA – Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he was open to putting U.S. alcohol back on the shelves in his province if the federal government secures a “fair deal” with the U.S.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an Accountor“If we get a fair deal that will protect our steel sector, our auto sector, our forestry sector, agriculture sector, manufacturing sector, then we’d be more than happy to bring booze back on the shelves only if we have a deal that’s going to protect those sectors,” said Ford, during a press conference in Guelph, Ont., on Thursday.Canada and the U.S. are currently in intense trade talks in Washington, after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened last month to impose a 50 per cent tariff on $29 billion worth of Canadian goods, effective Aug. 19. The president used powers under Section 338 of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act.Canadian and American negotiators have been meeting daily, to hammer out a deal ahead of the new U.S. tariff deadline.Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Chief Trade Negotiator Janice Charette are scheduled to meet with Trump’s top trade envoy on Thursday afternoon. It would be the second such meeting in the last three days.Some concessions Canada is willing to make in trade talks include lifting counter tariffs on American autos and ending the boycott of U.S. alcoholic products by provincial liquor commissions.There have also been discussions about how American quotas are allocated under Canada’s dairy supply management system.In return, Canada is looking to avoid the Section 338 tariffs that are set to take effect next week. Negotiators are also looking for tariff relief on steel, aluminum, autos and lumber.The premier was asked on Thursday what he would consider a fair deal, noting the likelihood that any agreement with the U.S. would still include some tariff rate on these sectoral goods.“We have to match tariff for tariff,” Ford replied. “We can’t negotiate through weakness.”Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette also signalled earlier this week that she would be open to returning U.S. wines to Quebec liquor shelves, but only if progress is shown on the trade front.Fréchette met with Quebec industry representatives on Thursday, where she noted the province’s economy has remained resilient, but stressed the importance of creating more stability amid an uncertain trade relationship with the U.S.National PostOur website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our newsletters here. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.