Barcelona started the transfer window with one clear priority: signing a new No 9.Robert Lewandowski was allowed to leave on the expiry of his contract at the end of June, with the Poland striker later joining MLS club Chicago Fire.That left Ferran Torres as Hansi Flick’s only senior recognised option for the role — and now he appears to be on his way to Paris Saint-Germain, with The Athletic reporting today (Wednesday) that the back-to-back Champions League winners are close to an agreement to sign the 26-year-old.Meanwhile, Barca sources — speaking anonymously to protect relationships, like all those cited in this article — have said all summer that Julian Alvarez is their only transfer target in attack. But there is increasing pessimism over the chances of the Argentinian striker arriving from Atletico Madrid.So what is the latest on Barca’s striker search? Beyond Alvarez, what profiles might suit them? And in considering other options, could we see a new role for Lamine Yamal?What’s the latest on Torres and Alvarez?After scoring the goal that won Spain the World Cup final against Argentina on July 19, Torres has been on a break, as have all of the eight Spain players in Barca’s squad. He was due to return to the club on Wednesday, but was permitted by Hansi Flick not to join the team as his transfer to PSG is being finalised.Torres’ contract expires at the end of June 2027, and no agreement on a renewal has been reached. Barca sources say they received indications from Torres that he wants to leave, and that the club have rejected a bid of €40million (£34.1m; $46.1m) from PSG for the forward. Barca sources believe the deal could be completed for a figure closer to €50m. PSG would clearly prefer a fee closer to their initial offer.With Torres, there are a few complicating factors over his contract, too.The Athletic exclusively revealed in July that Barca would have to pay Manchester City between €7million-8million if he were to extend, owing to a clause in his move to the Camp Nou. Torres was signed from City for an initial €55m plus a further €10m in add-ons in January 2022. The renewal fee could take his total cost to around €73m.Ferran Torres celebrating his World Cup final-winning goal (David Ramos/Getty Images)In terms of Alvarez, he is back with Atletico after playing for Argentina at the World Cup. He was pictured at the club’s training ground on Monday, but coach Diego Simeone and the vast majority of the squad were not present as they had some days off following a pre-season tour that included friendly games against Manchester United in Sweden and Manchester City in South Korea. He completed his first full training session on Wednesday.Sources close to Barca’s first-team unit expect Alvarez to have a conversation with Simeone this week, where he will repeat what he told ESPN during the World Cup: that he would like to leave the club.But there is very little hope of this changing Atletico’s stance. Chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin said last month they would not listen to any offers for Alvarez, not even for €200million. Executive sources at Barca say their valuation of the player would never reach that figure.
What next for Barcelona’s striker search with Torres on his way out and Alvarez pessimism?
Barca need a No 9 but may be forced to deviate from their top priority Alvarez, with in-squad options also being considered















