Minister of Homeland Security Roger Alexander said no price was too high to save lives, as he toured several locations yesterday where 30 joint army-and-police posts are to be erected as part of Government’s crime-fighting initiative.Alexander spoke to the Express as he toured the site for the post in Tarouba, San Fernando, located at a major intersection into San Fernando and surrounding areas, and the Sir Solomon Hochoy Highway.Asked about the cost of the initiative for the installation of the posts, Alexander said the Government would disclose the figure at a later date.“We are not discussing that just yet. At the end of the day, no cost is too much in the protection of its people, especially since crime has been out of control for the last ten or more years,” said Alexander.“We are getting a chance to fix it. There is no cost attached to a life. The more we put forward, the fewer persons die. The fewer families have to grieve. That is how we are looking at things now.”Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar previously announced that 30 army and police posts would be erected across the country and thus far, 24 locations have been identified.Alexander said construction had begun at three sites, including the Tarouba flyover, while work at another two could begin over the weekend. He expects the first posts to become operational by next week.Greater San Fernando Chamber of Commerce (GSFCC) president Kiran Singh welcomed the start of construction at Tarouba, saying it demonstrated the Government’s commitment to introducing new crime-fighting measures.“The business community is pleased to witness the start of the police post at the Tarouba flyover. This move signals to us that the Government is serious about implementing new crime-fighting strategies,” Singh said.A permanent police post at the major traffic intersection should assist officers in detecting and apprehending criminals entering and leaving San Fernando.“The greater spread of the TTPS and the army also acts as a deterrent to those intent on breaking the law,” said Singh.He said he looked forward to the initiative to address the country’s low crime-detection rate.Singh also welcomed the construction of a concrete post and the commitment to install proper water, sewerage and lighting facilities for the officers, adding that the permanent nature of the structure should provide citizens with a greater sense of comfort and security.No objectionby corporationAlexander said there had been no resistance from the San Fernando City Corporation to the construction of the Tarouba post.He was questioned about the issue after work on another post at the Eddie Hart Grounds in Tacarigua was stopped after the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation said it was not informed about the construction.Alexander said work at that location was expected to resume yesterday.“No institution must try to stop the protection of its people,” he said.Alexander said public demand for the security posts was growing rapidly, with the number of requests increasing from 287 on Thursday night to 317 by yesterday. “The citizens are looking at the initiative and saying, ‘Yes, we want that for our area.’ We can’t provide all just yet, but they want this for their area,” he said.Among the communities seeking posts are Diego Martin, Carenage, Morvant, Trincity, Caura, Sangre Grande, Toco, Manzanilla, Rio Claro, Penal, Fyzabad, Siparia, Guapo, Point Fortin and Cedros.Alexander said some communities wanted more than one post, while Tobago had requested four.The posts will be equipped with water, electricity, toilet facilities, surveillance cameras and computers.Alexander said shipping containers will be installed in some communities to provide additional manpower and support community-oriented policing.Asked whether the United States government was assisting with the initiative, Alexander said: “We continue to appreciate what our allies and our partners are doing for us and with us.”He said the Government was focused on ensuring the posts achieved their intended purpose rather than merely holding ceremonial openings.“We can cut ribbons, but when we cut ribbons, we want effectiveness,” Alexander said. “We want the public to understand why this was done—to ensure their safety and security.”Alexander said officers stationed at the Tarouba post would also have the advantage of monitoring activity along the Sir Solomon Hochoy Highway.
‘No cost too much’ to save lives
Minister of Homeland Security Roger Alexander said no price was too high to save lives, as he toured several locations yesterday where 30 joint army-and-police posts are to be erected







