Police pepper-sprayed a woman in a wheelchair during the violent anti-migrant protests in Thetford, locals have claimed.The woman is said to have been among a largely ‘peaceful’ protest when the crowd became ‘rowdy’ and officers used the device.Norfolk Police have been defending their handling of the violence and disorder in the market town, which began on Tuesday.Chief Constable Paul Sanford warned this morning that those who ‘crossed the line’ could ‘expect the full force of the law’ and refuted claims his officers had been too aggressive.But a resident, who asked not to be named, claimed innocent protesters were caught up in officers’ attempts to quell the disturbances outside a property in Clover Way on Wednesday.She said that ‘lots of young boys… came up on bikes and chucked eggs at a house’ at about 9.30pm.The protest was mostly seated and ‘peaceful’ until extra officers arrived and formed a line.It ‘started to get a little rowdy’ and ‘people took a step forward towards the police, the woman said. Norfolk Police have handled three nights of violence in Thetford after angry locals protested about homes being rented to asylum seekersAlthough no one was attempting to force their way into the house, she claimed police ‘started pepper-spraying people’ including ‘a lady in a wheelchair’.The local added ‘a few young idiots [were] picking up stones, lobbing them at a police car’ before officers ‘brought a riot van down and blocked the front of the house’.They then took out their batons, made arrests and ordered people to leave.The force uses Pava spray, which is similar to pepper spray and is used to incapacitate people.A spokesman said: ‘We understand that concerns have been raised about a woman using a mobility scooter (sic) who was affected during the incident.‘It was not the intention for any bystander to be impacted. However, where people remain within an area of active disorder and do not follow police instructions to move away, there is a risk they may be affected by tactics deployed to protect public safety.’Mr Sanford told the BBC’s Today programme this morning: ‘We have people who are exercising their right to protest and, of course, we will support that.‘There are people who live in Thetford who are concerned, understandably concerned, about some of the things that are happening in their town. Norfolk Police Chief Constable Paul Sanford warned those who 'crossed the line' would 'expect the full force of the law' Protesters gather outside a property in a residential road as police try to calm them down‘However, across three consecutive nights, a group of people have crossed the line as to what is acceptable. We have been appropriately policing those behaviours.‘I’ve seen the reports of heavy-handedness. We’ve been firm. We’ve been firm with people who have broken the law.‘If people wander into an active protest and ignore calls from the police to stand back, then there is a high likelihood that they might get caught up in what occurs. But my officers have done a fantastic job.‘I’ve had two police officers hospitalised as a result of the incident on Wednesday night.‘The people who perpetrated those offences should expect the full force of the law, and I will be pushing for the strongest possible sanction.’Asked what might have happened if officers had not intervened outside addresses being targeted by the mob, he added: ‘I think it’s highly likely that the protesters would have got into the property, they would have created a significant problem, and really threatened the safety of the occupants, and indeed the protesters themselves.’On ITV’s Good Morning Britain, Home Office minister Anna Turley described the events in Thetford as ‘horrendous’.She added: ‘Anybody thinking that they can go under the guise of a protest… but then to escalate that into violence, into attacks and intimidation, and particularly attacks on our police and emergency services, is absolutely not acceptable and they will be dealt with in the right way.’ Five asylum seekers had to be evacuated from a house by police on Tuesday nightDefence Secretary Wes Streeting also criticised the ugly scenes, saying: ‘There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for violence and thuggery to be directed to anyone in our society, whether that’s people seeking sanctuary in Britain or indeed the police that are trying to maintain public order.’South West Norfolk MP Terry Jermy has condemned the 'mob rule and vigilantism' in his constituency.Police had to escort terrified migrants from one property in the Norfolk market town on Tuesday night after an angry mob gathered outside three residential addresses.Doors and windows were smashed at another house and the occupant of a third was removed by intruders and had his mobile phone taken.The disorder continued on Wednesday night and last night, resulting in several arrests for offences including inciting racial hatred and possession of an offensive weapon.Officers were described as having been ‘subjected to significant aggression', with two needing hospital treatment after one was hit with a rock and another bitten. A third was spat at.Police powers were increased temporarily from last night to combat the ongoing disorder, with two arrests made.Norfolk Police Federation chairman Andy Symonds revealed today that the two hospitalised officers had returned to work. One house had its windows and doors smashed by the mobHe said: ‘The officer who received the significant injury through being bitten had treatment in hospital and received a tetanus jab.‘It is swollen and is a risk of infection, so she has been prescribed antibiotics. She returned to policing the protest last night. I’m in awe of this level of commitment.’Mr Symonds added there was ‘a clear distinction between legitimate protest and criminal behaviour’.'Anyone who chooses to assault police officers, damage property or incite disorder must expect to face the consequences of their actions,’ he said.Tensions were already high in the area following weeks of protests three miles away at RAF Barnham in Suffolk, after the former military barracks was earmarked by the government to take 1,250 male migrants.The Telegraph reported that at least three of the properties that became the focus of the violence in Thetford this week are believed to have been bought by the same landlord in the past nine months.The chaos on the first night saw five men having to be escorted by police from a property on St John's Way, prompting the furious protesters to scream 'traitors' at the officers.One local claimed the landlord had told them to expect new tenants but didn't mention they would be asylum seekers. Up to 100 people are said to have gathered to protest at the presence of asylum seekersThe occupant of a house in Elm Road about a mile away is then understood to have been forced out of his home before his phone was stolen.The disorder next spilled over to a residence in Bracken Road, which had its windows and front door smashed in.Up to 100 people became involved in the violence, with video capturing one man shouting: 'They don't want the white man anymore. They want us all gone, they wanna swap us.'It's predicted by 2050 that the f****** white man's going to be a minority.'Dramatic mobile phone footage posted online showed an officer standing in front of the property and telling the protesters: 'You have the absolute right to stay here and gather and [exercise] your right to freedom of expression.'That is your choice, okay. But I need you to stay here and do that peacefully.'If we start getting people and they're making threats, or getting knocks on the door [that's] when we then come back and that ruins it for everyone.'So do the things right for you and don't cross the line.'A woman could be heard loudly accusing the police of 'treason' and others shouted 'shame on you' as they tried to restore calm.Officers attended the residential property in Clover Way on Wednesday night after a large group of people gathered there at about 9pm and tried to gain access.As they intervened, members of the group became 'physically aggressive' towards them, leading to the two officers receiving injuries that needed hospital treatement.Riot police were deployed to guard more properties last night, with crowds chanting: 'Get them out, get them out.'Officers threw a ring of steel around one property as dozens of locals gathered just yards away. Demonstrators also hurled eggs.Norfolk Police said two arrests were made on Wednesday night for offences including public order, harassment and possession of an offensive weapon.Brian Thompson, 68, of Thetford, has been charged with possession of an offensive weapon, namely a wooden bat.He has been released on bail and is due to appear at Norwich Magistrates’ Court on August 25.A man aged in his 30s, who was arrested on Wednesday following Tuesday’s incidents on suspicion of a public order offence, has since been released and issued with a conditional caution.Two more men were arrested last night, Norfolk Police said.One was detained on suspicion of inciting racial hatred in connection with events on Wednesday.The other was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly and failing to provide details to police when asked.A Government spokesperson said: 'The right to protest is fundamental to our democracy and the concerns of communities are central to our immigration reforms.'However, violence and disorder are never acceptable, and we absolutely condemn the behaviour seen in Thetford, including attacks against frontline police officers.'We thank policing partners who we continue to work with to ensure the safety of the wider community. Anyone taking part in this criminal activity will face the full force of the law.'
Police pepper-sprayed woman on mobility scooter in Thetford protests
The woman is said to have been among a largely 'peaceful' protest when the crowd became 'rowdy' and officers used the device.











