Ford CEO Jim Farley told employees this week that Chinese electric vehicles could reach the United States within five to ten years, according to a Reuters report published on July 30. Farley and other senior executives made the comments during an employee town hall, adding that entry is more likely toward the end of that window. A Ford spokesperson declined to comment on the private meeting.
The timeline is notable given the layers of protection currently shielding the US market. Chinese-made vehicles face cumulative tariffs exceeding 125 percent, and the Connected Vehicle Rule has already forced Polestar out of the US despite the Geely-owned brand building its flagship SUV at a Volvo plant in South Carolina. A bipartisan Senate bill advanced by the Commerce Committee on July 22 would go further, banning any automaker with more than 15 percent Chinese ownership from selling vehicles in America.
Farley has been more vocal about the Chinese threat than his counterparts at other American automakers. He has previously said Chinese EVs should not be allowed into the country, but the town hall comments suggest Ford’s internal planning assumes the barriers will not hold indefinitely. Reuters reported that Farley framed the message as a call to compete rather than a call to retreat.







