Skip to Content Subscribe Our Offers My Account Manage My Subscriptions FAQ Newsletters Canada Canadian True Crime Canadian Politics Health World Israel & Middle East Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Comics NP News Quiz New York Times Crossword Horoscopes Life Eating & Drinking Style Sponsored Play for Ontario Travel Travel Canada Travel USA Travel International Cruises Travel Essentials Culture Books Celebrity Movies Music Theatre Television Business Essentials Advice Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Buy Canadian Home Living Outdoor Living Kitchen & Dining Tech Style & Beauty Personal Care Entertainment & Hobbies Gift Guide Travel Guide Amazon Prime Day Deals Savings National Post Store More Sports Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Soccer Golf Tennis Driving Vehicle Research Reviews News Gear Guide Obituaries Place an Obituary Place an In Memoriam Classifieds Place an Ad Celebrations Working Business Ads Archives Healthing Epaper Manage Print Subscription Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ Newsletters Canada World Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Life Shopping Epaper Manage Print Subscription HomeNewsWorldU.S. embassies warn Americans as Iran threatens more choke pointsTehran said Saturday that U.S. escalation would restrict shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and lead to the closure of other strategic choke points You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.People walk past shops att the Grand Bazaar in Tehran on August 1, 2026. Iran's military accused the United States of "escalating tensions" in the Middle East and warned countries in the region against cooperating with Washington during the ongoing conflict. Photo by ATTA KENARE /AFP via Getty ImagesU.S. embassies across the Middle East urged Americans to exercise caution after President Donald Trump said he was considering new military strikes against Iran.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorThe warning came as Tehran’s Supreme National Security Council secretary, Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, said Saturday that a continued U.S. naval blockade and any escalation would not only further restrict shipping through the Strait of Hormuz but also lead to the closure of other strategic choke points.Already, the Iran-backed Houthis last week opened a new front in the war, targeting two Saudi Arabian oil tankers in the Red Sea with missiles and drones.Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try againZolghadr’s comments followed a Wall Street Journal report on Friday, citing unnamed U.S. officials, that Trump had ordered the military to carry out a new attack on Iran as soon as this weekend to force Tehran to surrender.“We’ll be hitting them very hard,” the president said during a Cabinet meeting. “And at some point they’ll say we just can’t take it anymore.”U.S. embassies across the Middle East on Saturday warned Americans that they should be prepared for flight cancellations, periodic airspace closures and other travel disruptions as tensions remain elevated.The stop-start conflict between the U.S. and Iran, which has repeatedly disrupted traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a key route for oil, liquefied natural gas and fertilizer exports, started Feb. 28. A brief truce collapsed last month, and the two sides paused exchanges of strikes at the end of last week in an attempt to give diplomacy a chance.That lull ended Tuesday night when Tehran carried out what Trump described as a surprise attack, firing multiple ballistic missiles at a U.S. military base in Jordan. The latest escalation has driven sharp swings in energy prices, with Brent crude ending the week above $90 a barrel, up from below $72 a barrel at the start of last month.The effects of the war have rippled far beyond the Gulf, driving up inflation worldwide while threatening to engulf more of the Middle East.Overnight, an LNG vessel was hit in the Strait of Hormuz off the Omani coast, while a nearby tanker reported a near miss, according to the UK Maritime Trade Operations, which said no environmental impact had been reported.Saudi Arabia and Iraq have also become more deeply embroiled in the war, with Riyadh joining the U.S. this week in striking Iran-backed militias in Iraq in response to attacks on Saudi oil facilities.Egypt was drawn into the fray this week when two ships carrying LNG were struck by drones at the port of Damietta.Kuwait continues to be targeted, saying on Saturday that its air defence had detected and destroyed Iranian drones.CBS reported separately that the U.S. is considering striking energy infrastructure, including oil refineries and power plants, which would mark a major escalation in the military campaign. Deliberate bombing of civilian targets could be considered a war crime, according to advocacy groups.White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt did not directly address reports about an impending assault, but said in a statement that “Iran will continue to pay until they come to the table in what President Trump deems a meaningful way.”Trump has frequently threatened to sharply escalate the war only to shift his stance soon afterward. At the same time, the conflict has depleted U.S. munitions, particularly air defence interceptors crucial to stopping attacks on bases. With control of Congress at stake in November’s midterm elections, polls show voters by a wide margin disapprove of Trump’s handling of the war and the economy.—With assistance from Dan Williams, Valentine Baldassari and Rebecca Smith.Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.