Construction of the new Chinese super embassy in London can go ahead after a High Court challenge by neighbours was thrown out.The Royal Mint Court Residents' Association (RMCRA) brought legal action against the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and the London Borough of Tower Hamlets over the decision to grant planning permission.Once built on the site of the Royal Mint near the Tower of London, the five-acre embassy will be the largest diplomatic mission in London – but concerns have been raised over national security amid fears the site could be used for espionage. Fighting Sir Keir Starmer's decision to grant permission, the residents' association argued the embassy's presence could lead to terrorist attacks or the repression of protests, and be used to enforce 'draconian' Chinese laws in the UK and to target dissidents.The association, which represents families and businesses in about 100 properties, was also concerned about the Chinese government creating a fire risk by ignoring safety obligations, which it said would not be enforceable because of diplomatic immunity.The Government and the council defended the claim, saying they 'conscientiously and carefully had regard' to the residents' concerns.Following a hearing at the High Court earlier this month, two judges dismissed RMCRA's challenge. RMCRA has indicated it will appeal.They rejected RMCRA's claim that the planning decision had been made unlawfully, that there was a failure to disclose a blast assessment and security statement, that the Government had not followed planning regulations and that it had not identified and assessed human rights. Mrs Justice Lieven, sitting with Lord Justice Dingemans, said in a judgment on Friday there was 'no doubt' that the Government took into account that it was the Chinese government applying for planning permission. The new embassy is planned for the site of the old Royal Mint near the Tower of London (pictured)
Chinese super embassy to go ahead as High Court challenge thrown out
Once built on the site of the Royal Mint near the Tower of London, the five-acre embassy will be the largest diplomatic mission in London - but concerns have been raised over national security.












