Plans for a new Chinese super-embassy in London have been given the go-ahead after a High Court dismissed a challenge to its planning permission. The Royal Mint Court Residents’ Association (RMCRA) launched legal action against the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.It said the presence of the embassy, with a site earmarked near the Tower of London, could lead to terrorist attacks or the repression of protests, while being used to enforce “draconian” Chinese laws in the UK and to target dissidents.The association, which represents families and businesses in about 100 properties, was also concerned about the Chinese government creating a fire risk by ignoring safety obligations, which it said would not be enforceable because of diplomatic immunity.The Government and the council defended the claim, saying they “conscientiously and carefully had regard” to the residents’ concerns.Following a hearing at the High Court earlier this month, two judges dismissed RMCRA’s challenge.Mrs Justice Lieven, sitting with Lord Justice Dingemans, said in a judgment on Friday there was “no doubt” that the Government took into account that it was the Chinese government applying for planning permission.She also said that the RMCRA was not disadvantaged by not receiving a copy of a “blast assessment” at the time of the planning decision, which detailed the effect of a possible terrorist explosion.The judge said: “There was no unfairness to the claimant by reason of these documents not having been disclosed.”This is a breaking news story, more to follow...
Chinese ‘super-embassy’ in London approved after High Court challenge dismissed
High Court dismisses a challenge by Tower Hamlets residents over planning permission for the proposed embassy











