See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred SourceBy ELIZABETH HAIGH, SENIOR NEWS REPORTER Published: 18:44 BST, 28 July 2026 | Updated: 21:18 BST, 28 July 2026
Former boxing world champion Joe Cordina was filmed brawling at a petrol station with another man. Cordina, 34, a two-time International Boxing Federation super-featherweight champion, appeared at Cardiff Magistrates' Court on Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to two charges of assault by beating.South Wales Police previously said the charges relate to an incident outside Pentwyn Service Station in Cardiff on February 27 this year.During the brief hearing today, Cordina, who is from Cardiff, appeared in the dock alongside Jamie O'Brien, 33, from Pentwyn, who has also been charged with assault in connection with the same incident.The court previously heard the offences the two men are charged with are alleged to be 'against each other'.It comes after video footage appears to show the boxer punching a man outside a petrol station.In footage shared on social media, a man dressed in a pink hoodie appears to barge into a second man who was exiting the Texaco store, seemingly to return to his vehicle.The second man is then seen taking a fighting stance and raining several punches on his opponent, who then drops to the floor. Joe Cordina, 34, a two-time IBF super-featherweight champion, appeared at Cardiff Magistrates' Court on Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to two charges of assault by beating It comes after video footage appears to show the boxer punching a man outside a petrol station The footage, shared online, a man dressed in a pink hoodie appears to barge into a second man who was exiting the Texaco store, seemingly to return to his vehicleHe then appears to shout angrily at the man and shove him several more times while he is on the ground. On Tuesday, Nadeem Majid, representing Cordina, said the second charge of assault he faces 'emanates from one continued incident'.O'Brien did not enter a plea during the hearing.District Judge Charlotte Murphy set a trial date for Cordina of October 13 at Cardiff Magistrates' Court.She said: 'You've pleaded not guilty to two offences, which means there's going to be a trial.'Until then, I grant you unconditional bail.'The court heard Cordina denies the assault on the basis that 'any actions were in self-defence'.A further charge of threatening a person with an offensive weapon in a public place has been discontinued.Megan Harriman appeared for the prosecution, while Declan McSorley represented O'Brien, who is charged with assault by beating.The judge told O'Brien: 'Your case is being adjourned until August 26 back at this court.'I grant you unconditional bail.'Both men spoke only to confirm their names, addresses and dates of birth during the brief hearing.The Cardiff fighter, who has a 19-1 record including nine knockouts, revealed in an Instagram story in June that his application for a US visa had been rejected, triggering the collapse of a July 4 bout against Abdullah Mason in Cleveland.In a video, he said: 'Just to let everyone know that I'm not going to fight. There's no injuries, I've had a great camp and I was meant to fly over this week.'A couple of days back, I went to the US embassy in London and they basically denied me a visa. I tried to explain certain things and I had all the paperwork to back it up and they wasn't having it.'They just basically told me "you ain't getting in". It's out of my hands and I'm absolutely gutted because it was my chance to become a three-time, two-weight world champion.'Cordina represented Wales at the 2014 Commonwealth Games where he took home bronze, before going on to win a gold medal at the 2015 European Championships.He also represented Team GB at the 2016 Olympics.










