Skip to Content Subscribe Our Offers My Account Manage My Subscriptions FAQ Newsletters Canada Canadian True Crime Canadian Politics Health World Israel & Middle East Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Comics NP News Quiz New York Times Crossword Horoscopes Life Eating & Drinking Style Sponsored Play for Ontario Travel Travel Canada Travel USA Travel International Cruises Travel Essentials Culture Books Celebrity Movies Music Theatre Television Business Essentials Advice Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Buy Canadian Home Living Outdoor Living Kitchen & Dining Tech Style & Beauty Personal Care Entertainment & Hobbies Gift Guide Travel Guide Amazon Prime Day Deals Savings National Post Store More Sports Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Soccer Golf Tennis Driving Vehicle Research Reviews News Gear Guide Obituaries Place an Obituary Place an In Memoriam Classifieds Place an Ad Celebrations Working Business Ads Archives Healthing Epaper Manage Print Subscription Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ Newsletters Canada World Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Life Shopping Epaper Manage Print Subscription HomeNewsCanada‘It was 100 per cent co-ordinated’: Montreal restaurateur warns others after dine-and-dashThe owner of Yans Deli says a group of six diners left without paying a bill of nearly $500Last updated 2 hours ago You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.Yans Deli owner Benji Greenberg posted security camera footage of a group that he says pulled off a dine-and-dash at his Montreal restaurant on July 6, 2026. Photo by Yans Deli /InstagramA Montreal restaurateur is warning fellow business owners to be on alert after a group of six diners allegedly left his restaurant without paying a bill of nearly $500 last week — a move he believes was carefully planned.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorBenji Greenberg, owner of Yans Deli on Ferrier St., said the group arrived for lunch on July 6 and initially appeared friendly and enthusiastic about the restaurant's menu.The alleged dine-and-dash prompted Greenberg to post security footage and images of the group on social media, urging other restaurant owners to be aware of them. The post quickly gained traction online, with commenters expressing support and some suggesting that requesting a complicated bill split before leaving is a tactic used in similar incidents.Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try againAccording to Greenberg, two men entered the restaurant first and asked whether the deli served European food. After discussing the menu, they decided to stay and said additional friends would be joining them.Over the course of the meal, four more people arrived, bringing the group to six diners.Greenberg said the customers ordered generously, requesting platters, soups, meats and sausages rather than selecting individual menu items.But as the lunch progressed, their behaviour changed."They started to get really rude," Greenberg said in an interview Friday.One diner complained about his meal and requested chicken instead, while others became increasingly demanding, he said."They were yanking me by the shirt, pointing and saying, 'More of this, more of that,'" Greenberg said.The restaurant owner said he was working the dining room alone after a server called in sick that day.When it came time to pay, Greenberg said one member of the group requested that the nearly $500 bill be divided into six separate tabs, with each diner accounting for specific items consumed throughout the meal."I said, 'Give me a minute, I need to write this down,'" he recalled.While he was preparing the bills, packing Uber orders and serving other customers, the group disappeared."They kept coming and going throughout the meal, so at first I thought maybe they'd stepped outside for a smoke," Greenberg said.When he eventually went outside to check, he said, he realized they were gone.Greenberg said security cameras captured the diners inside the restaurant. He later shared footage and images from the incident online in the hope of identifying them and warning other restaurateurs.Benji Greenberg at Yans Deli on Friday, June 5, 2026. Allen McInnis / Montreal Gazette filesGreenberg opened Yans Deli in August 2025 after working in several of Montreal's best-known kitchens, including Joe Beef. The restaurant was recently featured in a Gazette story about a new generation of restaurateurs reimagining Jewish deli cuisine in the city.While the unpaid bill was frustrating, Greenberg said the financial loss was not what upset him most. "It's that I spent time taking care of this group and trying to give them good hospitality."Greenberg said he believes the incident was deliberate."It was 100 per cent co-ordinated," he said.For now, Greenberg said his goal is to make other restaurant owners aware of what happened."If these men and lady come to your restaurant," he wrote in his social media post, "be aware of intentions." Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
‘It was 100 per cent co-ordinated’: Montreal restaurateur warns others after dine-and-dash
The owner of Yans Deli says a group of six diners left without paying a bill of nearly $500
1,069 words~5 min read






